Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviations on Casualty Form

jft

Hello there

Would be really grateful if anyone can confirm some of the abbreviations on my grandfathers Casualty Form. He was admitted to 9th Stationary Hospital (which I think was in Rouen) in January 1916. The abbreviation on his records is V.D.V.S  - I think I have an idea what this might have been having looked at the 9th St Hospitals War Diary, but would really like confirmation one way or another. The other puzzle are the notes List H.4960 / List H.4986 - have googled these but with no result. Might they possibly have been his hospital number??

All help very much appreciated!

The numbered H Lists are lists of hospitalized men sent usually to Infantry Record offices in the UK to keep tabs on their whereabouts. The first list is probably him being admitted and the higher number could be his discharge from hospital. There is a whole forum topic on these lists as some survive mixed into soldiers' records.

TEW

Apologies for late response but thank you all for responding. Have hopefully attached a jpg of the page - can't give the link I'm afraid as I only have records as photos from National archives. Hoping this is clear enough!

GBM_WO363-4_007287365_00159.jpg

Certainly a bit unusual. VDVS changed to VDS the next day and then 'not yet diagnosed' slight. VDS does conjure up an obvious illness but perhaps this was an incorrect diagnosis if it's 'not yet diagnosed' on the same day. Adding slight to nyd seems an odd diagnosis, if the ailment is not known how can it be slight? Treatment only lasts a week and then he's sent to a camp.

TEW