Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

So few poppies...

angelab

I have been really surprised, this year of all years, how few people I have seen wearing a poppy.

Has anyone else noticed this? 

In a full carriage on the Tube in London this morning I saw ONE other person wearing one.  

I was on my way to do a stint as a volunteer replacing the lamps in the moat of the Tower of London ready for this evening's lighting, so maybe I was feeling particularly sensitised.  But I mentioned it to the friend I was working there with, and she said she had noticed the same.

I haven't worn a poppy (yet) this year. 

Where i live most people are wearing badges

Edited by Cline O'Lone

I have to agree, there doesn‘t seem to be many people in the Manchester area wearing one either. On the other hand I haven‘t seen many people selling them.

South Wales there are plenty on young and old. 

Merthyr Tydfil has had RBL stands in all major supermarkets and shopping areas and cadets at random times. 

Blackwood(my nearest major town) has the same plus the Islywn comrades have been out in all conditions in an up beat mood plus one or two cadets. 

Both towns have plastic poppies on the street lamps with names of the fallen on them from both world wars. 

My village memorial will be dedicated(it has been complete for a few months) after the main parade at Blackwood. 

Perhaps someone in Blackwood would place a poppy for me on the memorial for 121966 Sapper Thomas Lloyd Royal Engineers please?  He survived the war to live the rest of his life with some kind of hell going on his mind and turned to drink.  Sadly he was killed when hit by a car in the blackout in 1939 when he staggered out onto the road not far from The Rock. He wasn’t far from home heading for what is now known as Maestruddud Lane.  

10 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Perhaps someone in Blackwood would place a poppy for me on the memorial for 121966 Sapper Thomas Lloyd Royal Engineers please?  He survived the war to live the rest of his life with some kind of hell going on his mind and turned to drink.  Sadly he was killed when hit by a car in the blackout in 1939 when he staggered out onto the road not far from The Rock. He wasn’t far from home heading for what is now known as Maestruddud Lane.  

PM the details of where the memorial is and I shall do this weekend.