Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding an index card

adam1981

Hello

I am trying to find a medal index card on Ancestry but having no luck. I have found it on the Nation Archives website but not ordered as have an Ancestry subscription. Any help would be great please, the details from the National Archives are:

Cadley, Henry C

Royal Garrison Artillery  334818
Dorset Yeomanry 1752  
Staffordshire Yeomanry  301055  
Life Guards 4243

Hi,

Is this the one?

Steve

9E26BACE-EE81-4303-B575-A218CB49050C.jpeg

No problem - Ancestry can be difficult.

I just put in the bare minimum of his name - as per your post - and he came out top of the list.

Steve

Problem I find is if you try to put too much in, you get a miss.

in your case you have two numbers, his mic has 4. For some reason ancestry search seems to ignore unless all numbers in and in the same order. I've tried a single number many times, but because he had two I can't find.

Hello again,

I think my Ancestry has gone haywire. I am looking for 41685 C. Wood Northumberland Fusiliers, im just getting nothing even when searching just for number. May have to give them call. Can someone please check if this index card is there?

This mic may well be one that Ancestry failed to copy. If you go to the National Archives website it does show that Clement Wood had 2 medal index cards.

Steve

Thanks, thought I was going mad. I haven't got the correct subscription to get the medal roll, but my friend has so I can get a copy. I have also found the London Gazette entry for the other mic

18 hours ago, adam1981 said:

is anyone else experiencing search problems over the last week?

Great War related websites tend to experience access problems around 11 November. Give it a week and try again.

Ron

On 13/11/2018 at 20:39, adam1981 said:

Thanks, thought I was going mad. I haven't got the correct subscription to get the medal roll, but my friend has so I can get a copy. I have also found the London Gazette entry for the other mic

I downloaded the two cards from TNA. (Doesn't cost me anything!) One card refers to the BWM and VM, the other to the award of the Military Medal.

There are quite a number of medal cards missing from the ancestry dataset. The most obvious are those where the front of the medal card has a completely different background colour from what purports to be the back of the same card, when in reality there are two cards but they were not separated in the scanning process.

The medal roll tells you that he was Clement Wood of the 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers. In the Remarks column :A.R. Cl. Z."

Noel

If I don't find what I am after on Ancestry or FMP I always check back with the NA site. There are definitely records there don't appear on Ancestry, and of course, better indexing as well.

17 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

If I don't find what I am after on Ancestry or FMP I always check back with the NA site. There are definitely records there don't appear on Ancestry, and of course, better indexing as well.

But reproduced only in black and white, and only the front of each card copied. The former means, in many cases, that quite a bit of detail is missed, and the latter, in some cases, means vital information (such as an address) cannot be seen. It was the address of her brother on the back of a card than enabled me to positively identify a nurse who served in France for over four years. Without ancestry I could not have made that connection.