Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Asymmetry of Commemoration 1918 v 2018

Gunga Din

Prof Sheffield recently observed that the Govt (Taxpayer) funded commemoration programme was rather distorted and had no funds allocated towards the events that actually contributed to victory.

Watching (passively) the TV this evening, it featured close to an hour of programmes on the Great War, including features on commemoration in Ireland (Eire) and England. The emphasis was 100% on loss. I lost count of the times that hyperbole overtook reality. One would have been left thinking that this was a war where all men were up to their thighs in mud and blood and tears for four years. 

At what stage do we start celebrating the fact we don't speak German? Why is the end of the Great War not like the Queen's Jubilee where streets celebrated? Is it all about loss? I am taking my poppy off on 11th Nov. I don't think I could bear watching the mass mawkishness and hand-wringing and BBC presenters staring at their feet. Where are the celebrations? On 11 th Nov 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922  the streets were awash with people who were ecstatic about the end of the war. In a few days our nation is about to do the opposite and descend under a media black cloud.

A few weeks ago I was at St Martin's-in-the Fields Church on Trafalgar Square celebrating the life of a very dear friend who passed away many years before his time. There were probably over 1,500 people at his 'Memorial Service' (I stopped counting at 1,000) and it was requested that black clothing should not be worn. His gracious wife asked that we do not mourn his passing. She did not cry and held her head high throughout her eulogy. .... and asked that we celebrate his life, celebrate the great things that he did and the sacrifices he made. His four children did the same in various media (readings, song, piano recitals - imagine that before 1,500 adults). His 7 year old son had the whole church in the palm of his hand regaling them with 'Fun Facts' about his father. His best friend did similar; and the house was full of laughter. It was without doubt the most moving, enjoyable and memorable 'Memorial Service' I have been to and was 100% focused on the positives. The post-memorial service in the Crypt evolved into a long evening of celebration. The middle classes at their very best. Incidentally his great uncle was awarded the VC in the Great War, something no-one I spoke to knew about...because it was something this type of family believed was not important and considered merely incidental to their duty. 

In the UK we seem to be 100% focused on the negatives of the Great War and seem blind to the manifold positive outcomes of the Great War. Where are the street parties of the 1920s?

It would be interesting to see how other nations mark the Armistice. France, Belgium, and Germany in particular. 

Edited by Gunga Din

I totally agree with your comments. The media always mention the end of the war but never mention that it was a Victory over our enemies. Is it wrong to use the term victory? Is it out of fashion? Is it not mentioned in case we upset a country or person?

It always makes me smile when I read or here comments about us not speaking German here in Great Britain because we 'won' the war. And in Germany, they speak...? 

If I remember rightly, Charles Carrington and his friends met up on the early anniversaries of Armistice Day primarily to celebrate the fact that they were still alive, in the course of which they would reminisce and raise their glasses to the memory of those who had not made it.  After a few years the tenor of public commemoration swung strongly over to concentrating on loss and sombre reflection and the group either stopped meeting or moved their celebration to a different day (I forget which).    

As for the speaking of German, I suspect that (native speakers excepted) there were probably more speakers of German in Britain in November 1918 than there are now in November 2018.

I see no problem with celebrating the end of the war along with commemoration, but in light of later events and current sensitivities, I'm not sure that celebrating victory would be such a good idea.  

It is easy to avoid issues with the BBC by simply avoiding the BBC.

As for the tone of commemoration, I take my lead from the RBL who want it to be a remembrance of those who died.

My 11 November remembrance and wearing of a poppy always comes from a sense of gratitude for all those who served, especially those who paid the ultimate price or who were wounded.  I do mourn the ghastly loss of life and the physical and mental harm done to so many who managed to survive but I'm immensely grateful that there have been, and continue to be, men and women who are willing to defend our freedoms.  

We like to grumble and moan about the state of the nation but we have clean water, electricity, most have decent homes, and we have rule of law and the ability to elect our national leaders.  There are many countries where those basic needs simply are not available.