Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

K Allan MacKenzie

abbrover

I have been asked if I can help trace a K Allan MacKenzie. He is on a Church memorial in Seacombe, Wirral. No other details at all. I've looked in newspapers, Soldiers Died, 1911 census, local burials up to the early 20's but no joy. I've also checked marriages, in case he had married a local girl. Can anyone help find him? The person who has asked for my help, has traced the other men on the memorial and wants to present his research to the Church on Sunday, so not much time!

Thank you

Thank you so much! It certainly sounds like him

I see you are on the Wirral. If you have any free time in the next few days, the Merseyside Branch Western Front Association have an exhibition on in Birkenhead Park Visitors Centre until Saturday, looking at the events of 1918, come along and take a look

It's the United Reform Church, Billy.

Edit - It would have been Seacombe Presbyterian Church at the time.

Edited by IPT
That would be a ecumenical matter, Ted

8 hours ago, IPT said:

It's the United Reform Church, Billy.

Edit - It would have been Seacombe Presbyterian Church at the time.

Got nothing about him i'm afraid.

BillyH.

Yes, I can't get anywhere with this really.

The South African, Kenneth Allan McKenzie appears to be named on the Durban War Memorial as "K A McKenzie".  I can't find much else about him. FindmyPast have a K A MacKenzie on the South Africa Roll Of Honour 1914-1918, but I don't know if there's any more information there. Likewise, there are a few medical entries for a K A Mackenzie in 1917but I don't know if they're relevant.

Regarding the boy in West Kirby, he was boarding at a preparatory school at The Mount, Caldy Road with a number of rich kids.  Looking at the actual document, it looks a bit more like Kenneth Alex McKenzie on the original. The Australian Archives have a few papers for Kenneth Alick McKenzie, RN. Next of kin in Scotland.  He was born in Burma 5/10/1899 which seems like too much of a coincidence. - https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/records/473056

Thank you. Not sure if someone has made an error on the Australian one, as there is an entry dated 1918, on his papers.  Maybe, for some reason, someone has assumed he is the one born in Burma serving in the Navy, but I'm not sure

Apparently, there is a book of remembrance in Wallasey Central Library, with 838 names on it.  It's a copy of the one that is buried in a casket under Wallasey War Memorial, which has no names on it (the one I mentioned in a previous post is in the hospital that had an extension built with half the memorial funds raised) -  http://www.carlscam.com/warmem/wallaseyh.htm

I don't know if the names are identical.  My great-uncle is on the one in the hospital (and badly misspelled, which may explain Allen instead of Allan?)

Well, I found the original Wallasey book of remembrance... obviously he's not in it!

Mem1.jpg

mem2.jpg

mem3.jpg

There were even a few strays at the back of the book, and he wasn't there either.

Edited by IPT

A first class effort though, was it in Earlston Road Library?

BillyH.