Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

chaz

visiting after Brexit

Recommended Posts

Gardenerbill

A friend of mine works at Manchester airport and he said their preparation was all in order except for one thing (this is from a conversation about 3 weeks ago) they were waiting for confimation from the Government on whether to open a third channel for UK citizens i.e. EU, Non EU and UK.

Edited by Gardenerbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithfazzani

If visiting Europe is to be as difficult as all the scare stories appear to say then there will be lots of empty camp sites in France this summer and deserted hotels on the Spanish coast. I have booked my Somme visit for the early summer and I expect to go. As I said in an earlier post I have been visiting Europe nearly every year for sixty years, I can't see that the current "Carry On" will stop that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

As far as I can see the only people inconvenienced might be those with dogs. Or other pets, I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY
5 hours ago, mills-bomb said:

The question is, do you want her back?   🥴

 Very good point!

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
harley1962

I agree with sassenach i can only see problems for pet owners. We are going over early April and have bought a I.D.P just in case and also rang our insurance company who have sent us a green card without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach
2 hours ago, harley1962 said:

I agree with sassenach i can only see problems for pet owners. We are going over early April and have bought a I.D.P just in case and also rang our insurance company who have sent us a green card without any problems.

Remember to check that your passports have at least six months to go (if there's no deal)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mva
8 hours ago, AOK4 said:

 

Are dogs allowed on cemeteries? Usually not... (and definitely not running freely)

" running around the cemeteries " not : in/on !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

If a footballer "runs around" the pitch, does that mean he runs round the touchline, not on the pitch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nigelcave
51 minutes ago, mva said:

" running around the cemeteries " not : in/on !

Weill I suppose they could run around the cemeteries so long as they were not within the cemetery walls?

 

Certainly I have seen over the years and possibly on a couple of occasions dogs who had been tethered outside a cemetery and also a bit away from the path, so that visitors might not be unduly alarmed by his/her/its/their presence. Nothing can compare to the extraordinary fencing arrangement to protect unsuspecting visitors at a cemetery (T.....? Farm), at the south east end of Wijtschaete, from the bull(s) in the field which one has to cross to get to the cemetery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Regiano

I think Brexit must have happened already.  What else could have caused Operation Stack today (fortunately we got through just before they implemented it)?  Also the freight queues at Calais were enormous too - several miles of tailbacks on the French toll roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chaz

Dont know the present rate but before I came to work the £1 was worth €1.17, we have been struggling to get €1.10, does not seem a big jump but on £500 it adds up. Going the right way, 3 years ago we bought the house around €1.45 to the £1 and as taxes etc have to be paid from our UK account it does help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gillchadwick
20 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

If visiting Europe is to be as difficult as all the scare stories appear to say then there will be lots of empty camp sites in France this summer and deserted hotels on the Spanish coast. I have booked my Somme visit for the early summer and I expect to go. As I said in an earlier post I have been visiting Europe nearly every year for sixty years, I can't see that the current "Carry On" will stop that. 

The voice of reason .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simond9x
17 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Weill I suppose they could run around the cemeteries so long as they were not within the cemetery walls?

 

Certainly I have seen over the years and possibly on a couple of occasions dogs who had been tethered outside a cemetery and also a bit away from the path, so that visitors might not be unduly alarmed by his/her/its/their presence. Nothing can compare to the extraordinary fencing arrangement to protect unsuspecting visitors at a cemetery (T.....? Farm), at the south east end of Wijtschaete, from the bull(s) in the field which one has to cross to get to the cemetery.

When my wife and I visited the Normandy beaches a few years ago, I waited outside a CWGC cemetery gate with our dog on its lead whilst she went in. A gardener tending the flower beds nearby waved me in along with the dog. Admittedly, we have a very well-behaved friendly dog. I'm really not sure how I feel about this issue...... I certainly wouldn't want to see noisy dogs brought in but, equally, I'd be happy not to take ours in if I thought anyone might object or find it disrespectful (I certainly don't think it's the latter). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithmroberts

Can we avoid comments that drift into relatively recent political matters please.  Discussion about potential or actual travel and visit issues is entirely proper, but once we open the door to discuss decisions  or actions of a political nature we would inevitably have some political arguments.

 

Thanks everybody

 

Keith Roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

I may be missing something but I haven't seen anything that could be described as "politics." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Clay
4 hours ago, sassenach said:

I may be missing something but I haven't seen anything that could be described as "politics." 

Deleted, I'd imagine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Open Bolt
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:38, sassenach said:
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:12, Open Bolt said:

There are forecasts the pound will be worth less than a euro in 2020

There are probably also forecasts that will tell you the exact opposite. Anyone who thinks he knows what will happen next week, never mind in 2020, is deluded.

My budget for this year is still looking weak, though not as bad as the no-deal slumps we have been through.

Exchange.jpg.91990c6e95d7de119bcfa8822d8db9d8.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frank_East

As I see it travelling to the EU for British citizens, including dogs, will continue unchanged during the transitional period ending 31 December 2020....exactly the same as being in the EU.

 

What happens after that is unknown according to  "deal" or "no deal"situations.I note that throughout the media,.predictions have been made as to the outcome should a "no deal" be implemented....it's a thriving agenda.....some OAPs living in the EU are fearing having their British State Pension frozen it would appear, similar to some other countries of residence. 

 

One point caught my eye which was the suggestion that there might be a visa charge of 5.5 Euros for a short trip to France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
imaginatian
6 hours ago, Frank_East said:

One point caught my eye which was the suggestion that there might be a visa charge of 5.5 Euros for a short trip to France.

 

I thought it was going to be €7?  It would be valid for 3 years.  This should be from 2021 and affects everyone visiting the EU from outside.

 

If we had "remained" then it would have also been applicable to those visiting the UK from outside of the EU.  I guess that the UK will introduce something reciprocal.


I'm not sure how this will work with respect to the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland?  I know there's a special arrangement that predates the EU.  Also not sure about the Gibraltar / Spain border, which has been chaotic when I've crossed.

 

Charges for visiting other countries is now all too common.  It's $10 for an ESTA for the US, although that's been introduced since my last visit there.  When I visited Hong Kong many years ago I thought about a day trip across to China.  The cost for a visa quickly ruled that out!

 

Some countries do it in reverse and charge you to leave.  I've had to pay cash to leave New Zealand.  I'd rather have stayed!

 

Ian

Edited by imaginatian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marilyne

Just to add to the topic: I've checked it out from our side of the Channel: key message is: NO CHANGE until the 31st December. Meaning we can still travel to and from with our ID card, Don't need VISAs or special authorisations… For the rest, the marching team can always refer back to our old adage: "c'est la faute a Boris!" … in this case your Boris!!

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spof
On 04/02/2020 at 04:59, imaginatian said:

I thought it was going to be €7?  It would be valid for 3 years.  This should be from 2021 and affects everyone visiting the EU from outside.

It looks like that has now slipped to 2022

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-passport-visa-eu-european-union-etias-electronic-system-a9318016.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...