Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting after Brexit

chaz

Hello all.

As it goes, I usually do a couple of tours a year but, think Iv'e done my last. Nothing seems certain and 100% reliable to travel for me. Due to health reasons and Insurance not being able to answer basic questions, travel disruption being predicted bookings must be down. If not, cancellations later must be if all is not going well.

There are differing answers on what will be certain travel wise after March.

Good luck all.

G.K.

On 20/02/2019 at 22:02, 17107BM said:

Hello all.

As it goes, I usually do a couple of tours a year but, think Iv'e done my last. Nothing seems certain and 100% reliable to travel for me. Due to health reasons and Insurance not being able to answer basic questions, travel disruption being predicted bookings must be down. If not, cancellations later must be if all is not going well.

There are differing answers on what will be certain travel wise after March.

Good luck all.

G.K.

Here are some of the answers as they are known:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/23/brexit-what-happens-the-next-day-if-there-is-no-deal

Looks like it will cost you a fair bit more to do your touring, quite apart from the probable slump in the £

Cheers Martin B

Any ideas re this situation , my wife is going to Germany on 28th March returning 2nd April will she get back OK?

Tony

I don't feel able to make any plans until there is a clear outcome of the various negotiations. Once they are concluded, whatever the outcome, we will be able to make travel decisions with certainty. I'm deferring my plans for the summer until I actually understand the terms, including travel insurance given that I will be 70 shortly, but there is one visit that I shall make in September regardless, and I will deal with any unavoidable costs for that, come what may.  If there are too many issues with cost and delays to take myself and the caravan on one of my regular  June visits, then I shall be watching  rather more cricket than I usually manage.

Travel to the continent is not going to stop whatever happens; it may become more expensive, and in the short term, assuming that Brexit happens on March 29th  there may be some issues in the early months for those of us taking vehicles on ferries, but I would expect air travel to be largely unaffected, apart from any visa and extra travel insurance costs.

Kirky -  I'm sure your wife will have no problem returning - especially if she is flying, if she is travelling by sea there might be some delays getting on a ferry home, but who knows. Your travel insurance company will surely advise you of any steps needed for cover from the 29th of March, and it is quite possible of course that there will be some sort of transition period in which nothing changes.  Unfortunately all decisions are currently in the lap of the gods, and we can only be prepared for any eventuality, and keep our personal views on the actual politics of this away from the GWF.  I'm sure that nearer to the time some clarity will emerge.

Keith

Some relatively recent commentary (Jan) on flights here

Flights *should* be OK it seems - assuming the bare-bones EU "no deal" plan is accepted on a European level, if no deal Brexit happens. If not then there may be more issues than expected.

I am currently booked for a July visit home to the UK (from the US) and hopefully then a visit to in-laws in Hungary (in and out of the UK on a separate ticket) before returning to US . Given the multiple jurisdictions, airlines, bi-lateral agreements, visas, passports etc I wonder if we will become a test case of some sort!

Chris

19 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

I don't feel able to make any plans until there is a clear outcome of the various negotiations. Once they are concluded, whatever the outcome, we will be able to make travel decisions with certainty. I'm deferring my plans for the summer until I actually understand the terms, including travel insurance …

We have booked crossings for various time in the year, on the basis that they are fully refundable. So we have at least secured the times and cabins which we prefer.

If common sense does not prevail and UK citizens are required to have Schengen visas, we have to present ourselves, the required documents and a detailed itinerary (including proof of reserved accommodation) at the embassy or consulate of the country in which we are going to spend most time. The requirement for France is two weeks before travel, but three are recommended and two months is suggested to allow for delays and the pressure on appointments. Therefore we have decided that we need to make bookings - so for a June trip we would make our reservations by the beginning of April. We'll make hotel bookings on a fully cancellable basis and never on a pre-paid contract, as we normally would anyway. If we have to lose the deposit on a gîte then so be it.

I have no idea how people who prefer the freedom of deciding where to go on the spur of the moment once they're abroad will manage this.

I can't imagine how just three places where you go to obtain a French visa are going to cope with personal visits from 17m Brits who go to France for tourism, business, family or whatever. There are just two for Germany: London and Edinburgh.

These are not normal times and much as it stresses me to have to think so far ahead, if it means we can actually get to where we want to go then we'll have to go along with it. This year will be a very strange year.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

23 hours ago, Dragon said:

There are just two for Germany: London and Edinburgh.

I have been out of the loop for a while. Are we going to need visas for Germany? I am booked for Koln (home of beer) this August so when and where do we apply? Thanks for any help. This whole thing is making Heute ZDF Brexit no Brexit on YouTube seem like the BBC today program...

1 hour ago, yperman said:

I have been out of the loop for a while. Are we going to need visas for Germany? I am booked for Koln (home of beer) this August so when and where do we apply? Thanks for any help. This whole thing is making Heute ZDF Brexit no Brexit on YouTube seem like the BBC today program...

Don't think we know yet. Depends if there's a deal, or an extension perhaps. In either case I doubt if visas would be needed.

Thankfully I don‘t have to worry about Brexit but I can understand your concerns. I don‘t see much point in asking all the „what if“ „do we need“ as no one as yet knows the answers or if answers will be necessary.  If you are not careful you will all drive yourselves round the bend before the situation becomes clear.

Keep calm and carry on :)

Edited by charlie2

DFDS & P&O are saying that all tickets booked for between end of March and end of September will be refundable free of charge, it is a bit hidden on their web pages so check. Presumably this is because of the reality of or the fear of lack of bookings. Not sure what the situation is with regard to Eurotunnel. 

3 hours ago, yperman said:

If you need a visa to travel in the Schengen area, you get information from a site such as this: Schengen or for France the French visa site is France. Germany is in Schengen.

The Guardian article explains the background to the current discussions.

The legislation being discussed by the EU institutions would put the UK on a visa-exemption list from 29 March, when the country formally leaves the bloc.

Until 2021, there would be no need for a visa even if the UK left the EU without a deal. After that, UK nationals would need to pay £7 for three years’ visa-free travel under a new European travel information and authorisation system, which is being introduced for all non-EU states.

But if the impasse is not broken and the UK crashes out on 29 March, British tourists will be left in legal limbo as the UK will be neither on the list of countries where a visa is required or among those with an exemption.

Edit:

German consular services

Changes to visa conditions in case the UK leaves the EU without an agreement (“no-deal exit“)

Unfortunately the possibility cannot be ruled out that the United Kingdom may leave the European Union on 29 March 2019 without a withdrawal agreement. In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement in place, UK citizens will from 30 March 2019 no longer have the right to freedom of movement. For this reason, visas based on the right to free movement which are issued to family members of Britons entitled to free movement can from now on be valid only up to 29 March 2019.

Affected persons planning to travel beyond 29 March 2019 can apply for a visa independently of EU freedom of movement under the general conditions of the Schengen Visa Code/German Residence Act.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stena (Harwich - Hoek) also has the option to buy cancellable tickets. This is what we normally do, Brexit or no Brexit.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Adding German consular quotation

Thank you all for the update on the situation. The links are much appreciated. I am hoping I am going to wake up soon with a hangover and find all of this was a bad dream.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been talk of visas and other possible problems post-Brexit, but in case it hasn't been raised, if you are taking your car abroad, leaving after 29 March, or not returning before then, and there is a no-deal Brexit, you will need a Green Card to prove you have relevant insurance. Insurers are gearing up for these, but are in a lot of cases saying it might take up to a fortnight to supply one, and it must be a physical document, not a stored image on a smartphone or tablet. 

our insurance broker can provide them on demand, our main problem is the dog, now talking about applying 4 months before travel with blood tests done 10 weeks before travel. bearing in mind we have been 6 times last year and once this year so far she should be ok. this knocks 6 visits a year out so looks like house will be sold ..... especially after this week.

2 hours ago, chaz said:

our insurance broker can provide them on demand, our main problem is the dog, now talking about applying 4 months before travel with blood tests done 10 weeks before travel. bearing in mind we have been 6 times last year and once this year so far she should be ok. this knocks 6 visits a year out so looks like house will be sold ..... especially after this week.

Hi Chaz.  We are in the same position regarding the dogs - we have two black labradors who always go with us.  Unfortunately, one is very nervous at the vets after having a rather unpleasant experience on one occasion and we understand that the blood test can be quite intrusive.  However, we are hoping that this worst case scenario of not being granted third country status won't apply.  We will be returning to the UK before 29 March and then propose to sit tight until it gets sorted one way or the other.  Even the vets don't seem to have much advice to offer at the moment.

Reg

Well,

In recent years, I visited the UK in summer with the family. We enjoyed it very much.

Now, it will take quite a lot of time  before I go back, am not interested in filling out several forms to enter the country. Sorry.

30 minutes ago, Niko said:

Well,

In recent years, I visited the UK in summer with the family. We enjoyed it very much.

Now, it will take quite a lot of time  before I go back, am not interested in filling out several forms to enter the country. Sorry.

Come on. It's all making people scared by the reigning forces. As if one has to fill out forms etc to go to Turkey f.i. (just to name one country also not in the EU)...

On 24/02/2019 at 13:14, KIRKY said:

Any ideas re this situation , my wife is going to Germany on 28th March returning 2nd April will she get back OK?

Tony

The question is, do you want her back?   🥴

9 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Come on. It's all making people scared by the reigning forces. As if one has to fill out forms etc to go to Turkey f.i. (just to name one country also not in the EU)...

I'm not willing to wait at the border with three kids in my car......If there is no difference with Turkey, everything will stay the same in the way we were treated now?

I won't take the chance until I have a clear view, and that may take a couple of years before the dust settles. Afterwards, I don't care. And no, I'm not scared. Probably I am scared of all the **** and the loss of time in my preciaous days off.

from our point of view.

having the dog is like our third child but this one stays with us and we know what its up to. She enjoys running around the cemeteries and locations.

Our house in France costs us €2100 a year in taxes, visiting 6 times a year can roughly justify the expense. IF we have to go fewer times the cost per visit will rise

add on top the extra £100 each couple of months for blood tests, compared to normal vet visits, cheaper at our vet in Frevent than in England this doubles cost per visit.

being a Rottweiller 8 years old this year, we know she only has a couple of years left BUT plans were, to have half of her ashes left on the Somme along with the remains of my family in the signature. this probably will not happen.

we are due back in April/May but now , 10 weeks is  at least 22nd May, 4 months would be mid July, that would be our planned 4th visit this year. with the wife having to book her holidays 18 months in advance, these visits are already booked.

Our vet in England is no use i the planning, they are being fed by GOV.COM who themselves have no clue what is happening,  it should be left as is for now until its all decided

how they are going to proceed.

7 minutes ago, chaz said:

having the dog is like our third child but this one stays with us and we know what its up to. She enjoys running around the cemeteries and locations.

Are dogs allowed on cemeteries? Usually not... (and definitely not running freely)

10 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Hi Chaz.  We are in the same position regarding the dogs - we have two black labradors who always go with us.  Unfortunately, one is very nervous at the vets after having a rather unpleasant experience on one occasion and we understand that the blood test can be quite intrusive.  However, we are hoping that this worst case scenario of not being granted third country status won't apply.  We will be returning to the UK before 29 March and then propose to sit tight until it gets sorted one way or the other.  Even the vets don't seem to have much advice to offer at the moment.

Reg

No one on the Continent really cares whether your dog has rabies or ticks or anything else. It's Britain that gets very excited about it all. They seem to think that every animal outside Britain has rabies and that millions die from being bitten by a hamster or labrador every year. In fact, there hasn't been a death from rabies caught in Europe since people can't remember. Strangely, there are more deaths from rabies in Britain than anywhere else, as people have a habit of getting friendly with stray dogs when they are in India or somewhere, being bitten, not getting treatment and then down they go.

Also, British governments assiduously peddle the idea that you have to have injections into the wall of the stomach of rabies. That actually went out about 50 years ago. It is now 6 injections in the arm over 8 weeks. Nothing worse than being vaccinated.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

I'm not willing to wait at the border with three kids in my car......If there is no difference with Turkey, everything will stay the same in the way we were treated now?

I won't take the chance until I have a clear view, and that may take a couple of years before the dust settles. Afterwards, I don't care. And no, I'm not scared. Probably I am scared of all the **** and the loss of time in my preciaous days off.

As UK is not part of the Schengen agreement area, as Jan has already indicated, nothing will change. Everyone has always had to go through passport control EU, UK citizen or not.