Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting after Brexit

chaz

1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

Then your faithful friend has more patience than me (sausages included).

Sausages don't last long enough to utter the words "Prend" ou "Non".  And he recognizes "saucisses" just as quickly. 

On a serious note- yes, the possibilities of  administrative googlies is a very real one.  Let us all hope that commonsense will prevail.  Quite  what the perceived levels of commonsense are in our elected leaders and officials, let alone those of our neighbours  beyond La Manche (or St. George's Channel for that matter)  is something that would lead to instant tasering by the Mods. should we dare to comment further. :wub:

(It used to be said of the late Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin, that his stated polices were summed up as "Don't annoy the miners, the Irish or the Catholic Church". Of course, any politician or administrator who annoyed the English Dog Owning Lobby  would not last long. I hope they have been warned!!)

22 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

never was a problem before we joined the EU so why now ?

Here here! Sometimes had to wake border guards up to show the your passport.

2 hours ago, KONDOA said:

Because were not in the same situation as before we joined the EU...! We are nearly 50 years on and coming out of the EU.. So Politics aside. No one really knows the answers to my post (2nd)

Or they would have posted the answers.. Surely. There are NO answer to what i posted.

Regards GK.

On 07/11/2018 at 19:33, voltaire60 said:

No- I checked-France is still there-just south of Dover.(Mind the bit of water in between).  Never was a problem before 1st January 1973. And only problem then was the occasional "flic" asking for ID papers when in Paris.

But you did have to have a Green Card to show you had insurance (Third Party or other).

On 07/11/2018 at 21:05, gillchadwick said:

I agree with you!

Plenty of reasons. Britain is tearing up all agreements. Probably the Customs will be asking how many bottles of wine you have, and perfume, tobacco, and all the rest.

125 says that the EH1C existed before Britain joined the EU. It didn't. Nor did the E111. Both were brought in by the EU at the request of many citizens travelling. It will be back to cash on the nail or travel insurance.

Still don’t think it will make that much difference !

We always had to get a ‘Green Card ‘ from our Motor Insurers and Travel Insurance for Health Care.

Even with the E111 you still have to pay and reclaim money back (in my experience)

Passports were always examined on entry to a ‘Foreign Country’.

Perhaps there will be different arrangements for traveling with Animals ,however nowadays Rabies has been eradicated .

Does it really matter how much Wines /Spirits etc. can be brought into UK?

Will be interesting to see how it affects those of us UK citizens living in Europe?but will cross that bridge when it comes to it.

1 hour ago, healdav said:

Plenty of reasons. Britain is tearing up all agreements. Probably the Customs will be asking how many bottles of wine you have, and perfume, tobacco, and all the rest.

125 says that the EH1C existed before Britain joined the EU. It didn't. Nor did the E111. Both were brought in by the EU at the request of many citizens travelling. It will be back to cash on the nail or travel insurance.

I thought some non-EU countries were covered by the EHIC? Why should the UK be any different?

Countries in the EEA are covered  (EU, plus the EFTA countries of Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) plus, I think, Switzerland. The UK will automatically cease to be in the EEA after Brexit (if Brexit happens). We won't be in the EFTA without negotiating accession.

Edited by Dragon

48 minutes ago, gillchadwick said:

Yes, if it means queues and delays for people who have to declare imports and if there are spot checks of vehicles (like there used to be).

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Yes, if it means queues and delays for people who have to declare imports and if there are spot checks of vehicles (like there used to be).

There is always going to be someone somewhere who won’t be happy with the situation.

There are still spot checks by the Douane .

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

I thought some non-EU countries were covered by the EHIC? Why should the UK be any different?

Brexit means Brexit, not one foot in, one foot aout.

1 hour ago, gillchadwick said:

There is always going to be someone somewhere who won’t be happy with the situation.

There are still spot checks by the Douane .

Currently a lot of spot checks are for security and immigration. At the moment the quantities of alcohol we can import to the UK are unlimited, provided that we have paid duty etc on them in the country where we bought them. If we revert to the limit of a handful of bottles of wine, there is much more incentive for people to bring excess purchases in, not declare them and hope not to be caught, therefore customs officials are more likely to carry out checks. It used to take ages just to drive out through customs, even without the more recently introduced border controls. As a law abiding citizen who declares stuff, I am not particularly pleased at the prospect of returning to the system of queueing at customs with lots of other honest motorists.

And I reserve the right to be very unhappy with the whole situation in which we are finding ourselves.

Edited by Dragon

2 hours ago, gillchadwick said:

gillchadwick I come from Dover and some of my family have worked for Dover Harbour Board or on the boats. It is not case of someone being unhappy with the situation it is a case of the Mayors and people of Calais and Dover saying Titanic lookout  style  "that is an iceberg ahead". The cross channel daily through flow of HGVs and cars is staggering -far greater than pre-Common Market - and what we are talking about is a very prolonged period of extreme congestion on both sides of the Channel stretching up to and partially blocking the motorways and routes national. 

A protest by a few French Calais fishermen can trigger operation stack but their strikes last a few days. This could drag on for months as systems are built from scratch. Which raises the question do we take trip bookings post Brexit? I am not - till I see what happens.

15 hours ago, yperman said:

gillchadwick I come from Dover and some of my family have worked for Dover Harbour Board or on the boats. It is not case of someone being unhappy with the situation it is a case of the Mayors and people of Calais and Dover saying Titanic lookout  style  "that is an iceberg ahead". The cross channel daily through flow of HGVs and cars is staggering -far greater than pre-Common Market - and what we are talking about is a very prolonged period of extreme congestion on both sides of the Channel stretching up to and partially blocking the motorways and routes national. 

A protest by a few French Calais fishermen can trigger operation stack but their strikes last a few days. This could drag on for months as systems are built from scratch. Which raises the question do we take trip bookings post Brexit? I am not - till I see what happens.

And the only thing one can say is, "Captain art thou sleeping there below?"

5 hours ago, healdav said:

And the only thing one can say is, "Captain art thou sleeping there below?"

If one attempts to get to France via Nombre de Dios Bay (literary allusion there folks)-then I could imagine there would be some logistic difficulties. Just a thought :wub:

(Although Drake's use of fireships at Calais and Gravelines shows that he wasn't unduly bothered about border controls !)

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

If one attempts to get to France via Nombre de Dios Bay (literary allusion there folks)-then I could imagine there would be some logistic difficulties. Just a thought :wub:

And his attempt to get ashore failed...

On 08/11/2018 at 16:30, KONDOA said:

i seem to remember the longest we ever waited at a border was to enable my father to buy the petrol coupons tourist could buy when entering Italy 

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 06:11, barkalotloudly said:

i seem to remember the longest we ever waited at a border was to enable my father to buy the petrol coupons tourist could buy when entering Italy 

BBC Radio 4 reported today  (at 7am) that the Army have been asked now to put together plans for traffic control in Dover (through which 90% of our EU exports passes)  to maintain order in the event of "disturbances"  in our cities and to  ensure  the supply of food and medicines.

I love Koln - it is such a lovely city and the rents and house prices are so reasonable...

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:26, gillchadwick said:

... and Cadburry Chocolate out of it???

I was surprises last week that they asked for a sample of fuel at the border in Dover...

M.

On 17/11/2018 at 07:11, barkalotloudly said:

Speaking from the other direction, getting though Dover is still a pain. They refuse to grasp that foreigners - that dread word, go to the UK for anything other than signing on for social security, and getting a hip replacement or something.

I can remember being there once some years ago, when we waited for over an hour while the immigration mob sat and drank tea. I did complain to the Home Secretary, but, naturally, was ignored. I pointed out that it was quicker to cross the Iron Curtain than it ever was to go through Dover.

after our breakdown the other month, we were more or less waved through the  French side wheras the last time the passports were checked and armed soldiers checked our boot.

the difference? previously in a French registered car last time in British car.

They seem to have done away with the soldiery; everyone out and a check before passport control in Calais was the order of the day for some months, but not in October (nor, I think, when I came back in September). Nor did the UK customs have a peek on the French side on the last two occasions, which they have often done in the past. 

Going back to pre Schengen-but-in-the EU/EEC days I do not remember it being any slower/quicker than now. Come to think of it, returning to pre EU days, the most exciting thing that happened was a stamp in your passport and for some time post the 1967 devaluation they seemed more concerned about whether you were taking out more than £50 (!). They even used to have a space for that at the back of your passport. Mind you, in pre Schengen days you had intermittent checks on, e.g., the Franco-Belgian border, for everyone - remember the little customs house at Abeele anyone?

I really do think that the amount of money spent by the brits abroad will have an effect to the local economies.

once this dries up ( by virtue of the ‘extra checks and balances’ imposed) then certainly our french brothers and sisters will be out in force demanding a return to the pre brexit rules to allow the profits to be maintained 😜

cynical old me I know

mark

On 17 November 2018 at 06:11, barkalotloudly said:

That's the reason we visited Italy in 1965, petrol coupons from the AA.

Whatever happens will not stop me going to the Somme couple of times a year, love the place!

Tony