Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting after Brexit

chaz

email just received from Eurotunnel, Stormm comes with us every trip and wouldnt be happy in kennels while we are away.

Important Pet Travel Scheme Update  

As a customer who has previously travelled on Eurotunnel with your pet, we wanted to make you aware of DEFRA’s update on the Pet Travel Scheme if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

DEFRA have today announced their recommendation that pet owners planning to travel immediately after 29th March 2019 contact their vet at least four months in advance of travel to check what they need to do.

For example, if you are travelling on 30th March 2019 the recommendation is that you visit your vet as soon as possible, and before the end of November 2018 at the latest.

DEFRA have advised that you will still be able to travel with your pet to Europe after Britain leaves the EU, however you may need to take some additional steps to allow your pet/s to travel in a ‘no deal’ scenario.

Stay up to date with the latest advice by visiting www.gov.uk and searching "pet travel". Updates will also be available at eurotunnel.com.

Yours sincerely,

md_376904.png
trans.gif
Jo Willacy

Commercial Director

spoke to our vet a couple of weeks ago prior to last visit, she said they were talking about it but nothing decided yet.

Hi Chaz.

For a good few reasons we won't be booking for next year to Battlefield tour. Some of the dark area's to which at this point there are no certain answers are car insurance cover, Health insurance, and will travel visas be needed? And indeed, will the ports be free flowing?

Listening to discussion on Radio 4 last week all this doesn't even into the realms of importance at this stage of Brexit talks.

I may well have  done my last tour, or at least for some time. 

Regards.

Ok for you but with a house in France, and a dog that travels each time it's worrying. She won't do kennels, she wouldn't do the kitchen cage when a puppy and we were in bed upstairs, also some of our trips are 4 dayers, so a mountain of paperwork before 

I'm booking no EU visits after March 2019 until there is clarity. I appreciate that for members like Chaz who travels with a pet the uncertainty is even more awkward.We will remain in relative limbo on this until there is a resolution that makes all the procedures clear.  Sadly I think the tea leaves are far from clear about when we can expect a clear outcome. 

Thanks to all above for carefully avoiding political comment.

Keith

As for crossing to the EU after Brexit (if Brexit happens) there is always the option to book now with a ferry company which offers refunds.

• Admin

Can we keep this off politics please? I have hidden some posts.

Michelle 

16 hours ago, chaz said:

email just received from Eurotunnel, Stormm comes with us every trip and wouldnt be happy in kennels while we are away.

Important Pet Travel Scheme Update  

As a customer who has previously travelled on Eurotunnel with your pet, we wanted to make you aware of DEFRA’s update on the Pet Travel Scheme if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

DEFRA have today announced their recommendation that pet owners planning to travel immediately after 29th March 2019 contact their vet at least four months in advance of travel to check what they need to do.

For example, if you are travelling on 30th March 2019 the recommendation is that you visit your vet as soon as possible, and before the end of November 2018 at the latest.

DEFRA have advised that you will still be able to travel with your pet to Europe after Britain leaves the EU, however you may need to take some additional steps to allow your pet/s to travel in a ‘no deal’ scenario.

Stay up to date with the latest advice by visiting www.gov.uk and searching "pet travel". Updates will also be available at eurotunnel.com.

Yours sincerely,

md_376904.png
trans.gif
Jo Willacy

Commercial Director

spoke to our vet a couple of weeks ago prior to last visit, she said they were talking about it but nothing decided yet.

Typical rubbish from someone who doesn't have a clue. What about people who move regularly back and forth to the UK with their pets, and several times a year? I know several.

This assumes that everyone goes from the UK to France or wherever once per year on their summer holidays. This letter just demonstrates utter non-comprehension of the modern world.

Don't know if I am being brave or foolhardy but have booked next year's tour. Easyjet, Eurocar, Avril's on the Somme and The Dugout at Ypres. My understanding is that the worst that can happen is that I will have to get a Green Card from my local PO and ensure my travel insurance is up to date. Fingers crossed!

Len

I expect there will be serious delays and congestion  at Dover and Calais however Brexit well talks go -the admin and software - hard ware, buildings and personnel too  come to that- are just not in place and the delays in getting through newly and hastily set up immigration and customs  on both sides of the channel will  inevitably lead to tail backs and very  bad congestion. I am organising no trips next year post Brexit till the confusion dies down. They say It will be over by Christmas!

Edited by yperman
typo

never was a problem before we joined the EU so why now ?

36 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

I think one or two things might have changed in the last 43 years or so!

11 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I think one or two things might have changed in the last 43 years or so!

No- I checked-France is still there-just south of Dover.(Mind the bit of water in between).  Never was a problem before 1st January 1973. And only problem then was the occasional "flic" asking for ID papers when in Paris.

As Britain was never a Schengen state I can't see anything changing for petless travellers. You will still need a passport, which they might start stamping again, and I can't see any EU state requiring visas for UK citizens. Even within the EU passports are still closely checked when for instance crossing the border by train between Hungary and Romania.

No- I checked-France is still there-just south of Dover.(Mind the bit of water in between).  Never was a problem before 1st January 1973. And only problem then was the occasional "flic" asking for ID papers when in Paris.

OK, so one thing that hasn't changed is that France is still there. Thanks for that. My point remains. 

2 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

I agree with you!

It isn't necessary to use Dover-Calais, apart from the fact that it's the shortest crossing and cheaper. Le Havre is slightly further on much quieter autoroutes. Rotterdam is just over a couple of hours from Ieper. Dieppe isn't much farther to the Somme than Calais and a nicer drive when in France. For a lot of people Portsmouth, Hull or Harwich are closer than driving to Dover. If there are the predicted huge holdups at Dover, you may just have to think outside the conventional. I haven't used Calais for several years.

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

It isn't necessary to use Dover-Calais, apart from the fact that it's the shortest crossing and cheaper. Le Havre is slightly further on much quieter autoroutes. Rotterdam is just over a couple of hours from Ieper. Dieppe isn't much farther to the Somme than Calais and a nicer drive when in France. For a lot of people Portsmouth, Hull or Harwich are closer than driving to Dover. If there are the predicted huge holdups at Dover, you may just have to think outside the conventional. I haven't used Calais for several years.

I don't think that any delays will be restricted to Calais. Any delays, and I have no idea if there will be any, will be at all points of embarkation, surely. 

If you travel to a port with two departures per day, such as Harwich, and two arrivals per day (Hoek) then there are far fewer vehicles and passengers to process. (I realise that the Stena ferries are among the largest in the world.) As it is, when you disembark at Harwich you have to go through checks, but there's only one boatload of vehicles not several.

I am simply pointing out that if there are delays at Dover, there are alternatives.

15 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

OK, so one thing that hasn't changed is that France is still there. Thanks for that. My point remains. 

Fair enough. There are all sorts of scare stories out there-which would be classed as "politics" if we comment on them- and I understand that the Mods. have just done a deal with  ViolentPolice Equipmentplc for the supply of extra full charged tasers, so lets not go there. Shortly after the Second World War, Britain entered into the Treaty of Dunkirk 1946-when Ernie Bevin was Foreign Secretary (I believe it was the first BBC international live TV broadcast as well).  Bevin's view of Europe was straightforward-  go down to Victoria Station, buy a ticket and go where I damn well please.  Nothing has changed, nothing is likely to change.

(I have a 3 month visa for France in an old passport, from 1981-long past EEC membership by Britain- France is "l'etat administratif"-  those in charge of the paperclips rule the state. I had to get a 3 month visa from M. Le Prefet  for the Aube in order to get married in his department. French delight in pointless and repetitive petty administration is part of the intellectual concept of "La France Eternelle" -that aint gonna change :wub:

go down to Victoria Station, buy a ticket and go where I damn well please.  Nothing has changed, nothing is likely to change.

It depends on how permeable the borders will be and none of us know that yet. Will there be channels for UK arrivals, EU arrivals and other arrivals? Who knows. What could possibly change is imports by us as private individuals. Most of us have got used to travelling to mainland Europe and bringing back as much as we want, for example wine or beer, as personal purchases. I don't think we know yet what, if anything, will be different: will the UK be reverting to a duty free limit as used to apply? If so, that has the potential to cause delays for spot checks or for travellers who need to make declarations.

We regularly drive from Alsace into Switzerland using the German motorway and crossing into Basel near Weil-am-Rhein. Those truck holding lanes on the motorway towards Switzerland are there for a reason and are usually full for miles. We've been told - because I checked directly with Swiss customs - that if we are carrying wine, even if we don't intend to drink it in Switzerland,  "the temporary importation of wine for private purposes into Switzerland is subject of a deposit of customs duty and VAT, to be paid cash at the border. At the moment of re-export the authorities present on the border will restitute the deposit. We advise you to clear the procedures of temporary exportation and re-importation in the opposite site (French, German, Italian or Austrian customs), in particular at the moment of re-importation in EU." This  is one current example of importing from the EU into non-EU countries. It seems liked a faff but at the moment I don't think we can ignore the possibility that some sort of duty free arrangement may happen.

2 minutes ago, Open Bolt said:

Pre-EU didn't we have dog licences, rabies quarantine etc etc etc?

yes-  My apologies.  The family mutt is a frequent traveller -with his own doggie passport,etc.  And bilingual to boot. Put a cocktail sausage in front of him and he understands the word "prend"  straightaway-or just bites your hand off anyway. (Wild boar meat from the Camp de Mailly is a favourite-so yes, the mutt is taking a keen interest in the Brexit negotiations)

I have been travelling to Europe via ferries for 60 years. As previous posters have said it never presented a challenge that I can recollect. Yes we used to have a green card for insurance and sometimes our passports were stamped. The EHIC card and the paper E111 existed as I remember before we joined the EU and were (and are?) subject to a seperate International Agreement which includes some countries outside the EU.

I have forgotten jus how many Brits visit France for holidays, but it is millions. If there is a problem expect to see thousands of empty camp sites and some very disgruntled camp site owners, café owners etc.

I can see the concerns of pet owners as there may be some confusion in this area.

But I have several trips organised for next year and don't propose to cancel any of them.