Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hohenzollern Redoubt

ryandunny

Hi, I'm visiting the Hohenzollern Redoubt on Friday and was wondering if anyone had been recently that could let me know if  the site is easily accessable? Was hoping to walk from the rough area of the British trenches to the Redoubt itself. 

Thanks!

Ryan 

Edited by ryandunny
Missing worfd

The redoubt is indeed accessible. I parked in a small farmyard on the edge of the village of Auchy-les-Mines on “Chemin du Mont d’Auchy” by the 46th Division Memorial, after a quick chat with the farmer to seek permission. This is on the German side, however I walked up through the redoubt and then back up from the former British lines. Hope you have a great tour. 

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply mate. Is the Farmer easy enough to find to seek permission?

Thanks

Ryan 

There’s a ”barky” dog in the yard and chap came over when I was last there a year ago. You will find a spot though if not the farmyard. 

Thanks for the info mate, Much appreciated! Hoping to retrace the steps of the 4th Leicesters in October 1915 and have all the trench maps ect ready so good to know ill be able to do that... 

I usually park at Quarry Cemetery and walk into the area from the British side.

I have attached a couple of trench map/modern map overlays that may be of interest.

Overlay-13Oct(2).jpg

Overlay-13Oct.jpg

Those are definately of interest. Thank you Ken. I did something similar myself but yours are in a lot better detail. Much appreciated. 

• Admin

I normally park at Quarry cemetery too. 

Michelle 

• 1 year later...

Just found this old thread.

Ken I have an interest in Hohenzollern and the 13 October 1915. My grandfather was Medical officer with the 7th E.S.R, his diary covers the 13/14th fighting on the Hohenzollern redoubt. I was wondering if you could show me their position on the overlay maps you have supplied above. They lost heavily on the 13th, some 90 dead and 160 wounded taking gun trench.

thanks 

Dave

23 hours ago, RegHannay said:

Just found this old thread.

Ken I have an interest in Hohenzollern and the 13 October 1915. My grandfather was Medical officer with the 7th E.S.R, his diary covers the 13/14th fighting on the Hohenzollern redoubt. I was wondering if you could show me their position on the overlay maps you have supplied above. They lost heavily on the 13th, some 90 dead and 160 wounded taking gun trench.

thanks 

Dave

Have you got any of the details from the War Diary?

Let me know wht you already have and I will check my files.

12 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Have you got any of the details from the War Diary?

Let me know wht you already have and I will check my files.

Hello Ken, I have previously loaded my grandfathers diary entries for the 13th - 19th onto my GWF blog "Only With Honour". I also have the 7th battalion war diary.  which basically tells me the attack was made by the 46th 12th (7th ESR) 1st divisions. 46th were to take Hohenzollern Redoubt and Fosse8. the 12th the Quarries to gun trench and gun trench and the 1st to take the line of Lens - La Bassee road. The result the 46th took part of Redoubt but could go no further. The 12th took Hohenzollern - Windy corner of the Quarry, failed to take trench from Quarries to gun trench. The East Surrey's took and held gun trench to gun trench. The 1st took line of road but were shelled out of the northern portion in front of Hulluch.. I am not a researcher by any stretch of the imagination and wondered if you would have the knowledge on where the trenches were  on your map that the 7th took.

Thanks

Dave

45 minutes ago, RegHannay said:

Hello Ken, I have previously loaded my grandfathers diary entries for the 13th - 19th onto my GWF blog "Only With Honour". I also have the 7th battalion war diary.  which basically tells me the attack was made by the 46th 12th (7th ESR) 1st divisions. 46th were to take Hohenzollern Redoubt and Fosse8. the 12th the Quarries to gun trench and gun trench and the 1st to take the line of Lens - La Bassee road. The result the 46th took part of Redoubt but could go no further. The 12th took Hohenzollern - Windy corner of the Quarry, failed to take trench from Quarries to gun trench. The East Surrey's took and held gun trench to gun trench. The 1st took line of road but were shelled out of the northern portion in front of Hulluch.. I am not a researcher by any stretch of the imagination and wondered if you would have the knowledge on where the trenches were  on your map that the 7th took.

Thanks

Dave

The area you are looking at is south of the maps I posted. If you send me a private message with your e-mail address I will send you some maps which show Gun Trench.

• 2 months later...
On 05/11/2018 at 20:51, ryandunny said:

Hoping to retrace the steps of the 4th Leicesters in October 1915

On 30/06/2020 at 23:12, RegHannay said:

I have an interest in Hohenzollern and the 13 October 1915. My grandfather was Medical officer with the 7th E.S.R, his diary covers the 13/14th fighting on the Hohenzollern redoubt.

Ryandunny, if you are still following this I hope that the visit to the Hohenzollern Redoubt in November 1918 was successful - seems an age ago since we were able seriously to contemplate visiting the battlefields.

My reason for posting is that I am currently reading George Coppard's With a Machine Gun to Cambrai (recommended in several threads on this site), and have just read his description of being in the Hohenzollern Redoubt, pages 32 to 42 of the 1976 edition of his book (Chapters 10 and 11).

You and RegHannay are probably both aware of his account, but, if not, I think that you will both find it interesting, as he was there for 18 days from 1 to 18 October 1915 with the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, 6th Battalion.

1 hour ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

Ryandunny, if you are still following this I hope that the visit to the Hohenzollern Redoubt in November 1918 was successful - seems an age ago since we were able seriously to contemplate visiting the battlefields.

My reason for posting is that I am currently reading George Coppard's With a Machine Gun to Cambrai (recommended in several threads on this site), and have just read his description of being in the Hohenzollern Redoubt, pages 32 to 42 of the 1976 edition of his book (Chapters 10 and 11).

You and RegHannay are probably both aware of his account, but, if not, I think that you will both find it interesting, as he was there for 18 days from 1 to 18 October 1915 with the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, 6th Battalion.

ALFbP, just ordered a copy, thanks

Dave

• 1 year later...
On 02/07/2020 at 11:18, RegHannay said:

Thanks

Dave

Hi Reg

I am currently studying the action of 46th Div at Hohenzollern and have searched for the blog as would be interested in your Grandfathers diary entries.  Ive been unable to locate them however.  Can you point me in the right direction or do you have E copies available at all?

Many thanks

Cérémonie le 13 octobre 2021

parking near the "monument 46 division" or quarry cemetery

more photo facebook " alexandre villedieu"

www.loos1915.fr

gilles Président de Loos sur les traces de la grande guerre

245571665_4501372576567051_6445090058265290824_n.jpg

• Admin
21 hours ago, Rugbyrelic said:

Hi Reg

I am currently studying the action of 46th Div at Hohenzollern and have searched for the blog as would be interested in your Grandfathers diary entries.  Ive been unable to locate them however.  Can you point me in the right direction or do you have E copies available at all?

Many thanks

It would appear that @RegHannay has deleted his blog posts. Maybe he’s found a publisher? 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

It would appear that @RegHannay has deleted his blog posts. Maybe he’s found a publisher? 

Would appear so.  Hopefully he will be able to respond at some point.  thank you Michelle

• 8 months later...
On 02/07/2020 at 12:04, Ken Lees said:

The area you are looking at is south of the maps I posted. If you send me a private message with your e-mail address I will send you some maps which show Gun Trench.

hello,

I am researching a relative of mine, Walter bashford of 7Bn East surrey Regiment who was KIA 13/10/1915 in this action to take gun trench, he is commemorated on the Loos memorial. 

i am very interested in the location of Gun trench as well as this is likely the general area where he died.

i have the war diary and have read the accounts of the day but don’t know the exact location of gun trench.
using this website ( http://www.webmatters.net/index.php?id=723 ) and the paul reed maps I think it is near cite St elie north east of hulluch but not sure on exact location. I attach a googlE map screen grabs of the general location I *think* (2 screen grabs with markers on, I think the one that’s over some industrial buildings is the nearer location?) , any steer would be appreciated as I intend to visit next summer! 

thank you

Ed

B8764761-3F8F-4FB5-B4DC-9C9FFB63FDE3.jpeg

E05C19A6-5DF3-43B9-8981-1BCC0386CDF5.png

Edited by MrEd

1 hour ago, MrEd said:

KIA 13/10/1915 in this action to take gun trench

@MrEd, Both Chasseaud and The Western Front Association put it in the same location, square 12.d.  Chasseaud also has it running southwards and notes in square 29.

The unit war diary should give boundaries and directions and help you find a closer point but at least this 1915 map locates Gun Trench for you:

Sheet: 36C NW 1 & 36C NW 3 [pasted together]
Scale: 1:10,000
Edition: Provisional Edition & Edition A 1915
Secret Edition A, Trenches corrected to 10-9-1915 & 25-8-1915 Trenches corrected 10-9-1915

image.png.a7866bdc0969bb6ea366aef3e9041651.png

8 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

@MrEd, Both Chasseaud and The Western Front Association put it in the same location, square 12.d.  Chasseaud also has it running southwards and notes in square 29.

The unit war diary should give boundaries and directions and help you find a closer point but at least this 1915 map locates Gun Trench for you:

Sheet: 36C NW 1 & 36C NW 3 [pasted together]
Scale: 1:10,000
Edition: Provisional Edition & Edition A 1915
Secret Edition A, Trenches corrected to 10-9-1915 & 25-8-1915 Trenches corrected 10-9-1915

image.png.a7866bdc0969bb6ea366aef3e9041651.png

That’s brilliant, thanks @WhiteStarLine

i was almost there. Lining up the roads it seems that the bit of gun trench that was attacked by the 7/East surrey runs roughly where I have drawn this red line (very roughly - just an indication of the approximate area!).

Great, that gives me a general location to stop off at and some ground to walk around when I visit Hohenzollern redoubt and the quarry cemetery and that area in general.

thank you for that, appreciated 

60A97B9C-E868-41E9-A2B6-CD56A9792F2B.jpeg

FF24F419-1477-4CBB-831B-CB8E198E4015.jpeg

Edited by MrEd

• 3 weeks later...

May I ask advice from pals who may know the ground very well at the redoubt. I have been once but not with Linesman. Would I be correct in assuming that the head of the redoubt on top of the hill so to speak was the only part that could be observed from the British Lines. My assumption from maps and my one visit was that the trenches either side of the redoubt then fell back out of view on the reverse slope offering protection from snipers etc. Thank you in advance. Mc

@battle of loosmay be able to share some information, I believe they are heading there sometime to take some photos of that area.

my great uncle died around this area in 1915 so I am interested to 

ed