Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MMR - Service on HMHS Eaglet

Adrian Mori

Can anyone help?

I am trying to trace my Gt Grandfather Herbert Russell Downer, No. 589670 WW1 service – I know that he was on board Union Castle line boats before and after the war and I have seen a muster from 1919 The Gaika (106908) where says his previous ship was HMHS Eaglet, but I can find no trace of this, except a mention of a hospital barge (122978)?

I know he was awarded the three WW1 medals but the rest of his service is a blank. Any steer or help with this or where I might find MMR records would really help I’m sure.

BT350_068906-DOWNER_HERBERT

Edited by Adrian Mori

Welcome to the Forum.

As far as I know there are no surviving service records for the Merchant Marine Reserve/Merchant Fleet Auxiliary, only medal rolls.

You say you know he was awarded the three WW1 medals but in case you don't know the details he is listed as Herbert only [589670] and his rate was Storekeeper. 

MFA [MMR] crew were usually taken into naval service along with the ship they were serving in under T-124 articles which put them under naval discipline but allowed them to keep their Mercantile Marine rates of pay etc. So if he was serving with the Union Castle Line up to the war there is a chance he was on one of their ships which was taken into naval service as an armed merchant cruiser or hospital ship. The fact that he qualified for the 14/15 Star trio means that he went to sea with the navy before 31.12.1915.

HMHS Eaglet could refer to the 1804 3rd rate ship of the line [formerly HMS Eagle] which was a reserve drill ship on Harbour Service at Liverpool, renamed Eaglet 23.3.1918. Possibly he was posted there to await demobilisation?

ARABIS.

Hi,

Thanks for this info it does make sense - I thought he would have stayed with his ship, but could not work out the Eaglet connection - I have read about MMR at Eaglet but could not make sense of it or a connection. I guess I just need to find the ship he was on - I do have some ships prior to the war.

Thanks again for the help 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:20, Adrian Mori said:

HMHS Eaglet, but I can find no trace of this, except a mention of a hospital barge (122978)? 

AM

Where did you find the number 122978, is it in his records or do you already know that it is the Official Number of a steel motor barge built in Ipswich in 1910 and named EAGLET, she had several owners and a long career?

I cannot find any reference to this particular barge being taken up and used by the RN as a hospital barge, though several were and used in Russia in 1918 and 1919.

TH 

Hi, Thanks for your interest - I found these details while trawling through the NA online - I was clutching at straws really, trying to find out what I could while my great aunt - his daughter was still alive.