Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
daggers

Western Front walk/way

daggers

Something on BBC news an hour ago about a scheme to make a walking route from the Swiss border to the Channel, on the line of the Western Front.

Nothing seen on GWF, but have any pals heard about it?

D

paulgranger

Saw the same thing this morning. The concept is based on letters from an officer killed on the WF, and being brought forward by his descendants, including one of the Countryfile presenters. Seemingly they have permission form a number of land owners, and I thought I heard that that amounted to something over 100 miles, but I might have been wrong. I seem to recall that there was a rather more grandiose scheme for a similar 'Pilgrims Way' put forward in the '20s, but that came to nothing.

Dragon

This has been discussed for ages, particularly on social media. It was mentioned on the GWF a couple of years ago when it was called the Via Sacra. Here's its webpage - Western Front Way - and Facebook It seems their main requirement is money.

In 2017 I was asked for some ideas on walking the front in the Vosges. Croonaert and I both shared some suggestions with their representative but we were not acknowledged.

Gwyn 

Edited by Dragon