Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Redbreast

Shiny

Hi All,

I'm trying to date a photo of a relative on board HMS Redbreast and am after a bit of help.

There are a few clues but to be honest they are just confusing me more than helping.

The bottom right corner clearly says "I Sequeira" and then "Karachi" under it but when I've hit google there doesn't appear to be a record of her going there on the sites I found.

My relative is sat on the barrel on the left, I know he was RFA but he joined in Aug 1914 and by 16 Dec 1914 was a Sgt and all based in the UK.

I'm starting to wonder if this could be pre war as I believe from a faint pencil note on his record he may have done 8 years before. 

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists the Redbreast's travels pre-war?

Can anyone date the uniforms?

Thanks a lot, 

Michael 

20181104_141311.jpg

I Sequeira was a renowned Karachi photographer, apparently. http://www.goansofpakistan.org/tls.htm

I would date the image to 1895-1909, possibly earlier. The ORs appear to be RMA (grenade collar badges).

REDBREAST was serving on the Zambesi from late 1889, transferring to the East Indies station in 1893 and operating out of Bombay up the Persian Gulf to Basra, Bahrain and Muscat on anti-slavery and anti-smuggling operations.

REDBREAST's ship's company qualified in1909/10 for the Naval GS Medal 1915-1962 with Clasp Persian Gulf 1909-1914. However, the medal roll shows that no RMA men were included in the ship's company at this time, only 10 RMLI ORs out of 54 entitled.

May we know your relative's name?

Hi Horatio 2,

That is brilliant, thank you very much. It also clears up my confusion which happened when I googled I Sequeira and got a place in Portugal !

My relative's name is John Kiddie and he was born in North Shields, Tyne and Wear on the 5th of March 1879.

I know he was RFA during WW1 and that he was a BQMS when he left and also that he served in Egypt. Initially I thought this was hime going to Egypt but the rank threw me.

I believe he may have served from about 1905 to 1913 and then rejoined on the outbreak of WW1.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael

43 minutes ago, Shiny said:

My relative's name is John Kiddie and he was born in North Shields, Tyne and Wear on the 5th of March 1879.

I cannot identify a man with those details as having served in the RMA or RMLI.

Ok, thanks for looking.

Maybe they were just being transported somewhere. 

Michael 

Spur, one at least, visible front right.  The OP mentioned RFA, so this is more likely than either variety of RM.

Artillery collar badges?

D

• 1 year later...

I believe the seaman second from the right may be my father, who was certainly listed in the census in 1901 as being on the Redbreast. He was an Able Seaman. named David Herron. He was mentioned in the list of those awarded the Africa General Service Medal: Somaliland 1902-4