Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC4 CWGC programme

Steven Broomfield

Given the rubbish with which the BBC has bombarded us over the past four years, a highly unexpected treat on BBC4 this evening. Huw Edwards examining the work and role of the IWGC/CWGC in commemorating the dead of the Great War, and the various macinations surrounding their work. 

It was moving, sensitive, retsrained and extremely informative (for example, I learned a lot about the movement to repatriate bodies to their loved ones).

Given the presenter's heritage it focussed on Wales and the Welsh regiments (with a lot of memorials shown, lacking vowels).

Being BBC4, bound to be repeated, but well worth catching on iPlayer HERE

I liked it. Worth watching (and it had real historians and real historians working on research).

20 minutes ago, Scalyback said:

Welsh has vowels, more than English. 

Ho Ho! Right on Bro!

Let's keep that little secret to ourselves shall we?

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Given the rubbish with which the BBC has bombarded us over the past four years, a highly unexpected treat on BBC4 this evening. Huw Edwards examining the work and role of the IWGC/CWGC in commemorating the dead of the Great War, and the various macinations surrounding their work. 

It was moving, sensitive, retsrained and extremely informative (for example, I learned a lot about the movement to repatriate bodies to their loved ones).

Given the presenter's heritage it focussed on Wales and the Welsh regiments (with a lot of memorials shown, lacking vowels).

Being BBC4, bound to be repeated, but well worth catching on iPlayer HERE

I liked it. Worth watching (and it had real historians and real historians working on research).

Well said. Worth watching indeed.

22 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Well said. Worth watching indeed.

It will be shown on BBC1 Wales. Tomorrow (Mon) 9:00pm. 

IMO Welsh T.V has been the best of the lot. 

I saw it too, found it interesting and informative. I wasn't expecting it to be, but found it the most moving of the programmes I've seen so far, that is I had to go and find the Kleenex; I'm normally impervious, but there were moments in it that stabbed deep.

Edited by seaJane

The really odd thing about this was the fact that I had no idea it was on. I got in at about 1955 hours, from walking the dogs, to find Mrs Broomfield watching a programme with Danny Boy (something about trains), I was just getting the Yellow Pages to search 'Divorce Lawyers', when she informed me that she had actually turned on for a programme I might be interested on and had accidentally and unintentionally caught Saint Dan of the Hyperbolic Presentations. 

She has been forgiven and, indeed, rewarded handsomely.

Danny boy was up to his usual, when covering locomotives and WW1 there was a film clip of WW2 soldiers embarking on a ship that was presumably also post WW1 and there was a fiilm clip of a 1930's locomotive and coaches.

The really odd thing about this was the fact that I had no idea it was on.

Do you mean to say you don't go through Radio Times every week with colour coded highlighter pens?

3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Do you mean to say you don't go through Radio Times every week with colour coded highlighter pens?

I couldn't figure out why I was missing so much rugby, and watching just a little bit too much ballet.

Then I remembered I'd been diagnosed colour blind as a child.

The really odd thing about this was the fact that I had no idea it was on.

And do you mean to say you are not permanently logged into the Forum? The programme was flagged up yesterday in the Culture Pages, or perhaps you don't read that section?

Cheers Martin B

I thought Huw did a fine job and looked genuinely quite emotional at the Menin Gate.

On the subject of Danny, have you noticed his habit of regularly clenching his lantern jaw as if biting off a word? Quite unnerving.

The thing worked very well, I think.....and I confess that I was looking for things to complain about.

The only thing that I can suggest was amiss was the failure to emphasise how the conditions of battle rendered recovery of the dead - let alone identification - excessively difficult or impossible.  I noted the allusion to half the dead not being given identified burial, so, to be fair, the problem was countenanced.  But it was only mentioned in passing.  I think that such a monstrous affront to the prevalent sensibilities  merited more mention.... not only were the dead not repatriated, they were not recovered and remained unburied in vast numbers.  That’s my only quibble .

Yes, well done BBC.

Phil 

I have recently revised my view on Huw Edwards as his favourite church in Wales is the one in which I was baptised in so he is in my good books for now.  I too enjoyed the programme but seeing as we like to find fault with everything that the BBC produce I will throw out a few scraps for the hyenas to fight over.  

'untold'

'secret history'

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

She has been forgiven and, indeed, rewarded handsomely.

You unloaded the dishwasher again then?

BillyH.

4 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

And do you mean to say you are not permanently logged into the Forum? The programme was flagged up yesterday in the Culture Pages, or perhaps you don't read that section?

Cheers Martin B

'Culture'? Me?

2 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

It anyone like me missed the BBC4 showing last night and have Sky then you can see it tonight at 9pm on channel 978.

Thank you for the notice,

I will look forward to watching it.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Whenever I hear the word 'Culture', I reach for my Brown Ale.

I assumed you'd grew your own in a Petri Dish (Mrs Broomfield's a scientist - she told me how to spell Petri)

Petri was German. Petra was a German Shepherd.

Back to the program(me). Did we ever get the 'Secret history'?

14 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I assumed you'd grew your own in a Petri Dish (Mrs Broomfield's a scientist - she told me how to spell Petri)

Mr B, thank you for flagging the programme up; I hope to watch it this evening if the smoke clears and we can hear the TV over the detonations.

Pete.

P.S. Presumably Mrs B has other qualifications as a scientist to go with being able to spell Petri?