Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

hazelclark

Poppies

hazelclark

I hesitate to bring the subject up again, but having been in Scotland for the past couple of weeks, I have been struck by the number of people wearing metal poppies.  Not sure if they come into the category of Biffo’s “ posh poppies “, but it occurs to me that since the poppy campaign is a fundraiser for the British Legion, that this must be seriously eating into their income. Even on television, everyone seems to be wearing these reusable poppies.

The other thing that stuck me, was that the stores have all cottoned on to the Poppy thing. There are poppy motifs on just about everything, and in Edinburgh this was particularly noticeable. All the stores were choc a bloc with poppy hats, scarves, mugs, jewellery, table linen and goodness knows what else. Seemed to me that they are taking huge commercial advantage of the centenary, and it didn’t sit quite right with me although I have to admit that some of the stuff was really attractive. At the base of Scott’s monument there was a sort of trailer selling “official” memorabilia but that didn’t seem to be a lot better. Oodles of “ posh poppies” etc. 

I should perhaps add that I don’t really object to the metal poppies as such, but if everyone buys them, what happens to the fund raiser?  AND, if no one sells the annual poppies and the poppy campaign disappears, will anyone remember??

Maybe I am just getting old. 

Hazel C.

asanewt

In our experience supporters donate regardless of the poppy they wear and very often when not wearing one. 

Our Royal British Legion is shrinking considerably and may disappear soon. 

The Poppy Appeal is struggling for volunteers in many districts but should continue for the present generation methinks.

At the mo' the public's generosity, for us,  is impressive. Final count will be very interesting.

Pubfinder

Most people I know continue to support the appeal ( including all the young people who use our local which is pleasing)

‘posh poppies’ or not any sale is a win especially the ones with the year date on.

Leeds city centre today was full of cadets collecting and you could count on one a hand the number of people (young and old) who didn’t have any type of poppy at all on show. Great to see

Medaler

I can only speak for myself on this. A couple of years back, and nowhere near "poppy season", I bought a small enamel badge in the form of a poppy wreath. I wear it every day. It's not stopped me donating to the RBL every year, but I prefer my wreath over their paper and plastic versions. It's my fault, I'm just a terrible wearer of poppies. Within 2 hours of buying one they always morph into a crumpled pile of crap that is neither pleasant on the eye nor respectful. I can honestly say that I have no idea how some people manage to wear them for 2 weeks and keep them in such good condition that they could hand them back for resale next year. It's always been one of life's mysteries.

My worry is actually the opposite of the opinion posted in the OP. I have a concern that it may look as though I don't donate. I do, but I just prefer my own "high durability" poppy.

Mike

robins2

had a unusual comment from one of the Legion Heads here, said do not wear poppy after remembrance day??? I personally wear mine after, usually until it falls off or gets lost.  Had some comments from others that remembrance day was over, my reply was that its never over. 

Edited by robins2
add

MikeyH

The pet store 'Pets at Home' are offering in conjunction with the RBL, a poppy to fit on your pooches collar.

Mike.

hazelclark

Presumably the Legion will benefit from that to some extent if they are involved.

H

MikeyH

Hazel,

Yes, to your question.

We went in to get one for our son's dog, they had sold out.

Mike.

LEUZEWOOD

I guess for those of us on the forum it is hard to gauge the general public's (and more so the younger generation's) perception of the poppy campaign, given that it is so ingrained in our consciousness and every day lives. I find it gratifying that it still seems to be widely supported, but why? Is it out of habit or tradition for some people, and do they really give any significant thought to what it represents, a bit like the traditions of halloween and bonfire night, does anyone really care? Perhaps that is the reason for the (thoughtless?) widespread use of the poppy as ornament and decoration, rather than a conscious act of remembrance? 

I started a new job recently and was disappointed to find that there was no poppy collection organised (unlike my previous employer) and sadly was met with some indifference that this was the case. I promptly got on the blower to the RBL and sorted it out rather easily. I've let everyone in the office know it's there and was tempted to 'rattle the tin', but that is their choice as to whether they support it and a consequence of the democracy our ancestors fought for.

As an aside (and as my own act of remembrance) I have organised a short talk about my connection to the great war to my new work colleagues this Friday and I have to say I have been touched by the response, given the majority of them are much (much) younger than me - and they'll be giving up their lunch hour!

Tom.

chaz

as usual there are a few answers.

firstly with numbers/footfall getting smaller in town centres people are not there to buy and therefore sellers are not there to sell, compared to 20+ years ago when many, me included visited the town. only go in twice a year, eye test and to pick up glasses. yet 40+ years ago we ( mother and father and myself, then in Air Cadets ) used to sell them.

secondly its a fashion thing now. hence the small badges. they can be used year after year.

the money does go to the RBL as long as purchased from them (web site) but as usual with anything commercial, there are many , at inflated prices, on Ebay. I would not mind but the RBL probably dont see much of the mark up.

Gareth Davies

I haven't worn a poppy yet this year.  I may put one on for 11 Nov. Am I a bad person?

derekb

I donate every year to the RBL and in return I receive several types of Poppy, metal and original etc  I keep them as mementoes and replace them every year. 

Every year I also donate to the RBL and in return I receive sufficient sew on cloth badges for the junior football team that I help to run, these boys and at one time, one girl, who are now an Under 15’s team wear them gladly and with pride and reverance, especially during the two minutes silence we hold together with the team volunteers and spectators before the football match closest (prior) to the 11 November, we have been doing this since they started playing as Under 7s. 

hazelclark

We live in a democratic society and you are perfectly free to do as you wish, as are all the people who just buy poppy stuff because they like the motif on whatever it is they buy. Don’t think many of them really have any idea about the remembrance and fundraising. There are of course people who donate but don’t always wear a poppy. I reckon I have LOST about five poppies this year already and it always seems to be the case.

Elsewhere on the Forum I have mentioned that I feel the whole rememberance thing will take a nose dive when my generation and my children’s generation snuffs it.  We all grew up knowing people who fought in one or both of the wars, so have that actual connection which makes the war real for us and not just history. History is largely what it is for my kids even though their grandfathers were involved. I have tried to interest them in the subject but have not been very successful now that they can’t hear stories directly from their grandfather.

Hazel C.

p.S.  All I’m saying is that it is a slippery slope that will disintegrate.

Edited by hazelclark

Old Scalyback

As a member and collector for Leigh on sea branch and an observer of remembrance day since Demob in 1980 I observe that as the number of Veterans declined the number of civilian organisations has grown. Collecting tins are as heavy as ever despite containing more and more notes. metal pins are very popular as are wristbands and attract premium Donations. Pins are especially popular among commuters returning from  London, Who will point to an old pin and pop a tenner in the tin or buy a new one. There are collectors out there who buy every pin the legion produces. The cashless society is an issue and the legion is beginning to roll out handheld card readers, which are too cumbersome to be held in the same hand as the tin.

Finally a thank you to the young lady who donated at Chalkwell station Friday night then returned with a mug of tea and a plate of biscuits.

Brian

Pubfinder

Yes Finley the dog wears his poppy on his collar (one of the reflective ones so I can see where the little so and so is when it gets dark) and I’m always asked where do I get it from.

several of his friends now wearing them too👍

Pubfinder

No to your statement Gareth it doesn’t make you a bad person.

It’s always a personal choice if someone does or doesn’t wear one. Just give us your money😜

T8HANTS

I'm not a green by any stretch of the imagination, but I have found the green plastic bits of the poppy stalks on the beach in the past, so I wonder if it is time for a redesign, or a return to the twist of wire from the old Haig Fund days.  It would be interesting to know what the estimated tonnage of poppies are produced each year.

I still buy them and have the posh type as well.

Interested
5 hours ago, LEUZEWOOD said:

I have organised a short talk about my connection to the great war to my new work colleagues this Friday

What a cracking idea!

BIFFO
19 hours ago, hazelclark said:

.  Not sure if they come into the category of Biffo’s “ posh poppies “, but it occurs to me that since the poppy campaign is a fundraiser for the British Legion, that this must be seriously eating into their income. Even on television, everyone seems to be wearing these reusable poppies.

The other thing that stuck me, was that the stores have all cottoned on to the Poppy thing. There are poppy motifs on just about everything, and in Edinburgh this was particularly noticeable. All the stores were choc a bloc with poppy hats, scarves, mugs, jewellery, table linen and goodness knows what else. Seemed to me that they are taking huge commercial advantage of the centenary, and it didn’t sit quite right with me although I have to admit that some of the stuff was really attractive. At the base of Scott’s monument there was a sort of trailer selling “official” memorabilia but that didn’t seem to be a lot better. Oodles of “ posh poppies” etc. 

I wear my enamel"posh poppy"every day in fact I have a few,all bought from rbl poppy sellers,every year I also buy from rbl a proper poppy not a piece of jewellery don't really care what any one thinks,its a plain poppy pure and simple I know loads of posh poppy manufactures  send SOME money to rbl,many don't,you see tat for sale with a poppy on it,no mention of rbl.Im sickened when I see on tv all presenters MUST wear a poppy,I would much prefer if some one said no thank, you now all the rubbish about the 11oclock leave has crept in..

:poppy:

poppy.jpg

Dragon

What has been concerning me recently is seeing several outlets with completely unsecured poppy collection tins. For example, one was on the counter in reception at the venue where I go to swim. This is often unattended because the staff are needed elsewhere. Another was sitting on an unstaffed desk in a furniture shop. In both examples the tins were within  a couple of metres of a door and there was absolutely nothing to stop someone from strolling in, removing the collection tin and wandering innocently out.

In the first venue, I said something to a staff member and his reply was that there were cameras. Well, we've all seen footage after the theft. In the shop, the assistant said that there was always someone sitting at the desk. There wasn't anyone in sight. I'd had to hunt her down to make a purchase.

There will always be an outcry after the theft of any unsecured collection tin for any charity, and rightly so. But I do think that places displaying tins ought to be obliged to take basic security precautions to protect the collections.

Gwyn

PS Gareth: no. Or I am too. And I'm not.

Edited by Dragon

Moonraker
39 minutes ago, Dragon said:

... There will always be an outcry after the theft of any unsecured collection tin for any charity, and rightly so. But I do think that places displaying tins ought to be obliged to take basic security precautions to protect the collections.

Each year one reads of "poppy" tins being stolen from counters.

And there was this particularly unpleasant theft the other day in Basingstoke. At least arrests have been made.

Moonraker

tom bowler
32 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Each year one reads of "poppy" tins being stolen from counters.

And there was this particularly unpleasant theft the other day in Basingstoke. At least arrests have been made.

Moonraker

Another one was stolen from a shop in Bolton very recently. The culprit was clearly shown in the shops video.

Medaler
13 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

I haven't worn a poppy yet this year.  I may put one on for 11 Nov. Am I a bad person?

Dunno, what colour are your boots?

Dragon

Well, I contacted the local RBL with details of the locations of completely unsecured collection boxes in vulnerable, unattended positions adjacent to doors and it's now up to them if they want to say something to the establishments concerned.

Sometimes thieves can be identified from security camera footage, sometimes not. It's avoidable hassle, though. I think there's an argument for trying to prevent opportunist theft in the first place.

MikeyH

Why so few enamel pin badges this year? A local poppy seller was only allocated ten, these sold in a few minutes.

Mike.