Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Btn Manchester Regiment

Gordon Caldecott

1118 Sgt John Martin 1st Btn Manchester Regiment.

Son of John & Mary Martin, of Manchester. Aged 26.

Sgt Martin also served in France.

Entitled to the DCM.

Date of death 08/03/16, commemorated on the Basra Memorial Panel 31 and 64.

Can anyone tell me which Division the 1st Btn of the Manchester Regiment was in, and when this Div/Regt went to France?

I believe that the attack on Dujaila Redoubt was fought between 07/03/16 and 09/03/16, does anyone know if the 1st Btn Manchester Regiment was involved in the fighting & were is Dujaila?

Anyone any idea when and if a citation exists for Sgt Martin Distinguished Conduct Medal?

Can anyone suggest a way in which I can find an address for Sgt Martin`s next of kin?

1/Manchesters were in 8th (Jullundur) Indian Infantry Brigade of the 3rd (Lahore) Indian Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/Lahore_div.htm

Dujaila Redoubt was in Mesopotamia, near the Tigris River. It formed the southern flank of the last major line of fixed defences that were south of the Tigris and between the Anglo-Indian relief force and the beseiged garrison of Kut, who were under the command of Townshend.

A description of the action can be found here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/meso_bat12.htm

Cheers

Robert

Gordon

He's not listed in the National Roll for Manchester so I think finding a NoK address is going to be well nigh impossible unless you find his papers at Kew (although the 1901 Census lists 2 possibles living Manchester - might be worth you looking at the payable bit to see who the family are).

I presume his DCM citation should be available through the on-line London Gazette.

John

from the london gazette DCM citiations:-

Can anyone suggest a way in which I can find an address for Sgt Martin`s next of kin?

i would be interested in knowing that, does the NOK still exist in a soldiers records ( if the records exist )

chris

post-5-1105919707.jpg