Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last day casualties

tootrock

According to an article in today's Guardian newspaper regarding the first and last british soldiers killed in the Great War, about 11,000 men were killed that day.

According to the CWGC website 908 men died that day, including over 200 in the UK.

What sort of casualties did the Germans suffer?

I suspect an editing error.

Martin

That eleven thousand is almost a form of poetic licence...eleventh hour, eleventh day, eleventh month...eleven thousand killed.

No way.

Germans ?  Fewer than two thousand in France and Belgium, I would guess.

The daily average of German deaths on the Western Front, from first to last, did not exceed one thousand, so I would be loathe to believe that the final day - which saw hostilities cease in the morning - would have rivalled that, let alone exceeded it.

All supposition on my part.

Editing : CWGC attributes 327 British and Empire dead to France and Belgium that day. 

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

The Times today cites an estimate of eleven thousand killed and wounded .  It’s important to remember the difference between deaths and total casualties.

Phil

The official last day of the War was 31st August 1921, as decreed by His Majesty's Council authorised under the British Termination of the War Act 1918.  The CWGC website has a list of 24 soldiers and one airman who died on that day attributed to WWI.

The Guardian's "Corrections and Clarifications" section today states:

A feature about Armistice Day said about 11,000 soldiers were killed on 11 November 1918. That figure was for all casualties: killed, wounded or missing.

The same figure as from the Times, above.

Martin