Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noble Savages: The Savage Club in the Great War 1914-18

Captain RHW

My new book, compiled with frequent and substantial help from the GWF, is now on sale. Details here

The book tells the story of some of the more notable members of London's Savage Club who fought in the War, and how the Club itself tried to 'do its bit'. 

If anyone would like to review it, please contact the publisher by email: jhproductions.co.uk

Thanks to all those who helped with queries, comments and suggestions. 

James. 

Bookfront.jpg

Hi James - the blurb mentions 'future members' - do I take this to mean people like the author, Henry Williamson, are included?

Ian

Hi Ian yes Williamson is included, he was a difficult subject but I’ve tried to cover him as fairly as possible.

Most of the subjects of the book joined after the war as those of fighting age - late teens to early 20s - were too young to join a club. Hence the criteria of Savage membership, service during the war and an interesting life/career tended to be people like Arnold Ridley, Bud Flanagan, Lord Denning etc who joined up as young men and went on to fame and fortune (and Savage membership) later in life. 

If you have a look on the website www.noblesavages.co.uk the contents are listed there. 

All best 

James 

Just noticed I entered the publisher’s email wrong - it’s jhproductions@gmx.co.uk

James 

1 hour ago, Captain RHW said:

Hi Ian yes Williamson is included, he was a difficult subject but I’ve tried to cover him as fairly as possible.

Ooooh! That sounds intriguing!! :D

He's certainly a fascinating individual, and I hope I've done justice to his story.  I've included references to the HW website which I assume you're familiar with, they have an extensive mix of primary sources and later commentaries.