Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver war badge to Williamina Matheson QMAAC

Sgt Stripes

Hi. I bought a women of the war poppy brooch from the poppy shop site of the Royal British Legion. When I opened up the box the certificate inside stated that this particular brooch was in memory of worker 39977 Williamina Matheson Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. She enlisted 29.5.1918 and served as a car conductress at Portobello, Edinburgh Trams and was discharged medically unfit 3.5.1919. She sadly died on 5.2.1920 from Tubercular Peritonitis. She was awarded the Silver War Badge No B221830. My question is was she entitled to a war medal and is it possible to research this lady by service papers. I am asking these questions because I do not know anything about the QMAAC. Many Thanks      

There does seem to be a record for her at TNA. Will cost £3.50. War medals unlikely unless she served in a theatre of war.

TEW

I would be surprised if she served as a car conductress at Portobello, Edinburgh Trams whilst a QMAAC. This was surely civilian work. Perhaps that is where she worked prior to enlistment.

Hi. I have just down loaded W Matherson's service record and it seems that she was employed as a general domestic at the 9th officers cadet battalion at Gailes, Ayrshire.