Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Difficult travels on 16-18 Nov 2018

Marilyne

Hi all, 

I don't know if anyone has already mentionned this on the forum... 

As a protest to the high fuel prices, there are a number of people who have started an appeal that is now going viral in France and in Wallonia, Belgium. the aim is to bring the whole country to a financial standstill on the 17th November. Via facebook, people are encouraged not to fuel up their car, not to go shopping, in general not to disburse a single cent. It starts to move out to blocking highways and even airports. 

I don't know if it will have impact on the opening of museums or restaurants ... if you have booked anything for that WE, you'd better 

In short: the WE of the 16-18 Nov is NOT a good time to be in France or French speaking Belgium !! 

For my part, I am seriously reconsidering the planning of my trip to Lens and Saint Omer... probably limiting it to the 15th, 16th AM limit... 

more information on the cities touched:

https://www.linternaute.com/auto/magazine/1750751-blocage-17-novembre-la-carte-des-blocages-quelles-villes-touchees-samedi-17-11-2018/

Good luck to all travellers!!! 

Marilyne

Given that it's a Saturday I doubt if it will have that much impact. I will not be participating. I tend to agree with the government on this one. People should drive less.

(Your link doesn't seem to work properly by the way).

Cheers Martin B

Boycotting petrol stations won't make a bit of difference. I forsee massive panic buying the day before and overall petrol sales going up during the protest.

bearing in mind the price of fuel is dearer than the UK , as long as people know they will probably allow for it. coming back Tuesday we noticed a lot of drivers from the shuttle were filling up in Folkestone on the exit ramp from the train. I paid £1.24 a litre for petrol today, in Intermarche Hesdin it was €1.44 Monday night ( just happened to be there and cheapest we passed) and over €1.60 on the motorways.

even the French were filling up containers as price was 3cts dearer most places and in towns 10cts higher

Edited by chaz

1 hour ago, chaz said:

bearing in mind the price of fuel is dearer than the UK , as long as people know they will probably allow for it. coming back Tuesday we noticed a lot of drivers from the shuttle were filling up in Folkestone on the exit ramp from the train. I paid £1.24 a litre for petrol today, in Intermarche Hesdin it was €1.44 Monday night ( just happened to be there and cheapest we passed) and over €1.60 on the motorways.

even the French were filling up containers as price was 3cts dearer most places and in towns 10cts higher

The price of fuel is dearer than in the UK only because of the fall in the pound. The difference between £1.24 and €1.44 is marginal. There is a French website whose name I forget that shows you where to find the least expensive petrol in a given area.

Cheers Martin B

On 01/11/2018 at 18:50, Pubfinder said:

Just my luck

travelling from Calais to Amiens via Funkyvillers on the Sunday:rolleyes:

Amiens ? the "cherry on the cake" : many roadworks in Amiens these days (has been the case for ages !)

PM if you wish (I'am not far away)

37 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

The price of fuel is dearer than in the UK only because of the fall in the pound. The difference between £1.24 and €1.44 is marginal. There is a French website whose name I forget that shows you where to find the least expensive petrol in a given area.

Cheers Martin B

3 years ago we were paying a euro a litre for diesel, makes my 3.2 petrol expensive to take over now. not worth travelling around looking,if we were there (going a month later) we could stay in and decorate anyway

On 03/11/2018 at 19:34, Ken Lees said:

Diesel is only just under €1.50 around the Somme, and no cheaper around Ypres recently.

We were in Ypres last week and petrol was €1.35  as compared to €1.58 here in Normandy.(we were on a Motorbike so didn’t take notice of the price of Diesel)

Most of the large Supermarkets have reduced their fuel prices until 17 th November.

29 minutes ago, tootrock said:

Some details are available, in English, if you enter  "Blocage 17 Novembre 2018 - En Direct" into Facebook.

Martin

Thanks

AM in Béthune right now... saw a lot of lorries and cars with the hi-viz jacket on the dashboard, and some people were handing out flyers at the highway exit this morning and at the supermarket. 

M.

bonjour from the Somme,

our local newspaper shows this morning a map : where roads will (probably) be blocked - and on which roads there will be a 'snail action' = not blocking, but vehicles driving very slowly.

Many of these in the ¨Péronne - Albert area

kind regards, martine

I hope nobody got stuck in the traffic yesterday... one dead and  wounded, news reports say... this was far from a peaceful demonstration... 

M.

in the region of Tournai, yes... minor. 

"Action escargot" on the highways (meaning people with big trucks deliberately slowing down traffic) and the big fuel depot from total in Feluy was blocked. there is no shortage yet, and they doubt isf two days of actions are going to endanger fuel stocks in Belgium, but still... it's kind of a way to say we're show solidarity with France.

Although for me the solidarity ended when I read about the casualty. Apparently a women wanting to drive her daughter to the doctor pannicked when people started to smal on her car, she jerked forward and killed the woman standing in front of her car. 

M.