Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Winning and Losing on the Western Front

Gunga Din

Winning and Losing on the Western Front by Jonathon Boff

I don't own this book but am tempted. The publishers summary states:

"The 'Hundred Days' campaign of 1918 remains a neglected aspect of the First World War. Why was the German army defeated on the Western Front? Did its morale collapse or was it beaten by the improved military effectiveness of a British army which had climbed a painful 'learning curve' towards modern combined arms warfare? This revealing insight into the crucial final months of the First World War uses state-of-the-art methodology to present a rounded case study of the ability of both armies to adapt to the changing realities they faced. Jonathan Boff draws on both British and German archival sources, some of them previously unseen, to examine how representative armies fought during the 'Hundred Days' campaign. Assessing how far the application of modern warfare underpinned the British army's part in the Allied victory, the book highlights the complexity of modern warfare and the role of organisational behaviour within it."

My emphasis.Can anyone explain what this 'state-of-the-art-methodology' is? is this another word for 'research'?

GD

No, research is "traditional methodology". State-of-the-art methodology means highly selective research to prove a pre-determined viewpoint, edited down to become a one-hour TV programme and a book to make the "researcher" a lot of money - he hopes.

I just noticed that my typing had omitted the first "r". Perhaps "e-searcher" explains the s-o-t-a version better.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

The book is well referenced with it's sources. I am enjoying reading it presently.

Andy

This is my review when it first appeared:

Overshadowed in the historiography of the Great War by the vast literature on the battles of the Somme and Third Ypres, the great allied success of the Advance to Victory in 1918 has only received belated attention recently. Jonathan Boff’s Winning and Losing on the Western Front: The British Third Army and the Defeat of Germany in 1918 continues to correct this imbalance, but from a different perspective. 

He delivers more than the title suggests in a meticulously researched and carefully presented study, through the relatively narrow lens of the operations conducted by Byng’s Third Army, in which he seeks to understand why the Allies won, and the Germans lost during the last “Hundred Days”. Despite the title, Boff considers both the British Third Army, and its opponents, the German Second and Seventeenth Armies, during the period August to November 1918. The result is a detailed and compelling analysis that presents some surprising conclusions, not the least of which was the failure of German command. 

This is not a narrative of Third Army’s campaign, but a detailed comparative case study to address four hypotheses variously given for the German defeat: that they were overwhelmed by an Allied superiority in men and material; that German morale collapsed; superior British tactics on the battlefield triumphed; and success came from the Allied ability to maintain tempo at the operational level. In this he succeeds admirably as they apply to the narrow focus of his subject. Doing so, he sweeps away the “stab in the back theory” much touted by the German generals and their acolytes after the war, and gets down to the nuts ands bolts of why this campaign ended so conclusively in the Allies’ favour.

Following an initial chapter that outlines the campaign on the Third Army front, Boff considers each hypothesis in a thoroughly detailed manner, drawing on extensive British and German sources, accompanied by charts and tables, to make his case in each area.  Thus we learn that while trained manpower was a concern for both sides, the disparity in numbers in favour of the British grew as the campaign progressed, but the material difference was not as marked as some suggest. Morale is a complex issue, and Boff doesn’t fall into the trap of generalisations, reminding us of the difference between spirit and mood, and the fluctuations over time, within and between units. Thus, while morale was a factor, to suggest the German Army was a morally beaten force over-simplifies the matter.  In two strong chapters Boff considers the British combined arms tactics, and the German response to them - those who tout the superiority of German tactics would do well to read Boff’s findings. As the British advanced, however, all the issues associated with culminating points were making their impact. He concludes with a comparison of British and German command performance, and the ability to maintain tempo at the operational level. Here we find a marked difference to the popular perception, rather the complexities of command in battle and the difficulties in maintaining tempo are well illustrated. While Boff highlights strengths and shortcomings in command styles, his preference to see the differences in the British approach between delegation, and control as an either/or approach, a soldier would see them as complimentary and essential in the fluctuating fortunes on the battlefield.

Objective and dispassionate in his analysis, Boff arrives at balanced conclusions that reflect the complexity of modern industrial war, and this is the greatest value of his book. That the reasons for victory and defeat cannot be reduced to the simple generalisations thrown up by the arm-chair general brigade, but are the result of a highly complex range of human and material factors. It is highly recommended to those wanting a bi-partisan, mature and thorough evaluation of why the Allies won in late 1918.

Having got further into the book now, I can say that Crunchy's review is very good and accurate. At a certain time reading this book I got to the point where I could not put it down and found it absorbing. The detail is good and I believed a balanced view with some surprising elements.

All in all I would say GD it is a book very worth well purchasing and a good read. By the way, you can get it a lot cheaper than Amazon are advertising it for in hardback.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

As a fan of Byng I will have to look this out. I'm pleased from what is written above that it looks at the German perspective as much as the British.  I suspect 'state of the art methodology' is just publisher hype, and tells us nothing good or bad.  'State of the Art' might mean something like the GRound Penetrating Radar that was used a while ago to look at Hastings, if one remembers the Time Team special, though it was ultimately frustrating as the old fashioned method of digging up the proposed ground of the main battle wasn't possible since it was under modern housing.