Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Questions for Booksellers/Librarians

Gunga Din

On 11/11/2013 at 07:04, rflory said:

66th Battery, RFA served with 4th Brigade, RFA during most of the Great War. The 4th Brigade, RFA war diary is available at The National Archives: for the period Aug 1914 to Oct 1915 it is under WO 95/3936; for the period Jan 1916 to Apr 1918 under WO 95/5100; for the period May 1918 to Apr 1919 under WO 95/4697. The portion of the Brigade war diary for the period Nov-Dec 1915 has not been traced.

I don't know of any books on the Brigade. It initially served with 3rd (Lahore) Division, but transferred to 7th (Meerut) Division on 17 Oct 1914. It transferred back to the 3rd (Lahore) Division in January 1916 and served with that division for the remainder of the war. In April 1918 it moved under 53rd Brigade, RFA.

Dick Flory

On 07/11/2018 at 00:40, rflory said:

Having been on the Library Committee at the university in which I taught for 30+ years it became very evident that the quality, usefulness or academic value of books meant very little to librarians; rather it was use.  They meticulously counted the number of times a book was removed from the self and when one of the annual book-thinning processes took place it was the book-use count that determined which books were removed from the shelf and sold in the their annual used book sale.  Our geosciences faculty to save books that were valuable to the profession, but had limited use, would give bibliographic assignments to students that required them to examine a large number of books to increase the book-use count.

Trying to contact Dick Flory

My name is Martin Wheeler

re: Information on my Grandfather Albert Smith (66th Battery RA)

http://www.aycliffehistory.org.uk/HTML/AlbertSmith.html

Edited by Guest
Email deleted for obvious reasons.

Welcome to the forum,  - you can send Dick Flory a personal message. hover your cursor over his name in a post and select MESSAGE

I ahve removed your email address - better not to post it publicly.

Keith Roberts

GWF Team