Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anfield Cemetery-Anyone live near there?

Lady Linda

Hi Everyone,

It looks like a great big cemetery and I am just after the one gravestone.

Lieutenant Walter Duncan-died 19th December 1918

Kings ( Liverpool Regiment)

Grave V11 CE 1740

Many  thanks 

Linda

Hi Linda

It's not a million miles from Owls Towers; I'll get one for you if you can give me a couple of days. I might be in the vicinity on Friday. As you say it's very big and surprisingly easy to get lost in there.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

That would be great Pete, no rush and please don't get lost!

TC

Linda

28 minutes ago, Lady Linda said:

That would be great Pete, no rush and please don't get lost!

TC

Linda

I'll get some distress flares and a very big ball of wool and tie one end to the cemetery gate. I go and bore the over 75's group that Everton's charity run periodically and the cemetery is just across the road.

Pete.

Never thought you would volunteer to go to Anfield Pete   :w00t:

BillyH.

I'll keep my back turned, I promise. It's also worth remembering that it was where Everton won their first Championship, if you know your history as that appalling song says.

Pete.

Don't remind me IPT; I saw Rush in his pomp score many more than one. What is ironic is the number of Liverpool's great strikers that grew up as Blues. Hope all is well over the water matey, I did wave the last time I was on the waterfront.

Pete.

P.S. Sorry Linda, this has got all parochial. I promise it won't affect the photographic offer.

From memory I believe I have a man buried in Walton Park Cemetery. Is that anywhere near Annfield Cemetery Pete? 

11 hours ago, temptage said:

From memory I believe I have a man buried in Walton Park Cemetery. Is that anywhere near Annfield Cemetery Pete? 

Not particularly near but near enough to Owls Towers for a visit.  Find the name of your man and I'll get onto it.

Pete.

I'll just jump in here and say hubbie supports Liverpool!

12 minutes ago, Lady Linda said:

That will upset Pete!

Nope, a promise is a promise, and Linda has been very kind in taking photos for me; even forming a human pyramid at Thiepval to get a photo of the a name; coincidentally that of Archie Everton of the King's Liverpool.

Pete.

On 30/10/2018 at 18:46, Fattyowls said:

Not particularly near but near enough to Owls Towers for a visit.  Find the name of your man and I'll get onto it.

Pete.

Thankyou Pete

His name is George John Clarke (RMLI) in plot D. 19A.

When and if you can get a photo, can you email me the original file as it will be of better quality than if it was posted on here.

Many thanks

Tony

Edited by temptage

39 minutes ago, temptage said:

Thankyou Pete

His name is George John Clarke (RMLI) in plot D. 19A.

When and if you can get a photo, can you email me the original file as it will be of better quality than if it was posted on her.

Many thanks

Tony

Of course Tony. I'll be in touch.

Pete.

On 30/10/2018 at 18:54, Lady Linda said:

Went down this morning and found the memorial but the grave is somewhere else; being a man I didn't bother reading the instructions. I will do some proper research over the weekend and return, probably on Monday. As you said in the original post the cemetery is very big, I found myself navigating using the main stand at Anfield as a fixed point. I'll take a compass and a bigger ball of wool next time. Likewise for George Clarke, I'll try to find a plan of Walton Park while I'm at it so I don't face any geographical challenges when I go there either.

Pete.

Thank you and good luck!

I have visited large communal graves in the UK, quite confidentially armed with a number of the grave and ended up walking for miles in an endeavour to find it. As the number system in some of  large graveyards over here doesn't make sense.

I will keep a look out on the news for a missing man in the Liverpool area!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay chums; I'll try and make it down to both cemeteries soon. 

Pete.

Your apparent hesitation is understandable, and indeed to be admired :)

BillyH.

Lady Linda,

Greetings from the Kingdom of Fife. I'm sure you have obliged in the past with photos for my school project "Flowers of the Forest". Can't help directly with your request I'm afraid, but I can send you a photo taken in the City and Royal Burgh of Dunfermline.

Curiosity got the better of me when I looked at the findagrave information I decided to mount "Operation Strathearn."

Accompanied by my assistant, and hopefully future historian (my granddaughter Abbie) we had a stroll along Pilmuir Street today. Strathearn Villa, No 119, is still there. Not sure if it is occupied, but it is the upstairs property on the left hand side, accessed by the external stairway with 119 above it. Not sure if the property was originally one house, but this is definitely where Agnes Lyle (Duncan) would have lived.

Not sure if she lived here before she married Walter Duncan, or if it is where she lived after (presumably) marrying Mr Lyle.

Just hope it adds a little bit to the family history.

As a Dunfermline Athletic supporter I also have to report the sad news that my son-in-law and grandson are both Reds.

Dave

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

Great story and photos Dave!

Thanks IPT, no wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking for a standard CWGC headstone. Schoolboy error. I'll even forgive you the homage to the longbowmen of the 100 years war. Just Tony's to find now.

Pete.