Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF abbreviation - swa MEP?

Grovetown

Wonder if anyone can help with the attached abbreviation.

FO  transferring from the Central Flying School to 'Swa MEP'? NEP perhaps?

Am assuming Swa is one of the Schools of Aeronautics, yet can't see how the 'w' fits?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,

GT.

Leonard Francis Canadian SWA.jpg

• Admin

I suspect this will be miles from the correct mark but my (Canadian) source has SWA = South West Atlantic Area (no idea where the extra "a" is) and NEP = Non-effective Personnel.

Nothing for MEP.

Looking forward to reading the right answers!

SWA = South-Western Area; No 2 Area had been formed on 1 April 1918 and re-named South-Western Area on 8 May.  The only commanding officer I've come across is Major-General Mark Edward Frederic Kerr.

As to NEP, at the moment I've no idea.

Graeme

Thanks to all so far.

NEP was making sense as 'non-effective personnel', as the man in question had a crash at Upavon in January 1918 that seem to presage long periods of being unfit.

Yet if South West(ern) Area is correct, it doesn't seem/ sound like something you'd post an injured/ sick pilot to.

Thanks again.

GT.

His name was Leonard Francis.

Checkered history: in June 1917, he was the cadet pilot of a plane that crashed at Camp Hoare/ Borden, killing his passenger Capt. Stanislaus 'Dan' Cruess-Callaghan; younger brother of the Irish ace Joseph Cruess-Callaghan.

Cheers,

GT.

Edited by Grovetown

NEP is non-effective pool: a status rather than a posting, since personnel could be declared thus but still working (e.g. pilots in admin roles) at their home station. As in B Elliott, posted also via hospital to HQ 28 Wing and to SW Area NE Pool:

Image1

Edited by quemerford