Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to translate German Postcard

Jools mckenna

Unfortunately, every time my printer tries the scan the back of the postcard as a Jpeg it only scans tiny parts of the writing. so, for now, I'm stuck with just a pdf scan. 

Scan0004.pdf

s-l1600 (4).jpg

21 minutes ago, Kath said:

Thanks, kath

image.png.82e403a8fbe30ce4a456bdbebaff865b (2).png

Hi,

it´s not easy to read, but I tell you what I can decipher.

The card was written on Sep. 30th 1918 in Xanten (Bavaria) to the Unteroffizier E. Silberberger who served with a meterological unit 401 (Frontwetterwarte 401) in Ciney near Namur. They were instrumental in planning gas attacks.

He calls the addressee comrad and gymnast-pal. He regrets not having met with him during the addressees last holiday home in Bavaria and urges him to come by next time as there would be room and board provided by him for his comrade. He also mentioned a promotion of a mutual acquaintence Pätzold to Unteroffizier. The three stars on the uniform of the sender are curious.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hello!

The name seems to be "Silbernagel". The stamp is from Muenchen 8 (Munich). That´s a part of Munich called "Schwanthalerhöhe" near the central station.

The three stars are strange to me too... But I think he wears a bavarian cocarde. Because of the cap and the cross he will a member of the Landsturm.

Edited by The Prussian

It doesn´t matter... he was NCO, so we won´t find any informations about him...

GreyC is right with the Frontwetterwarte. I can add, that that unit was a bavarian one belonged to the Fieldartillery Training Ground Ciney.

Formed Dec.18, 1916, under command of 3rd Army.

Well,

if he is from a Bavarian Unit we might, if somebody would look him up in the respective Ancestry-Stammlisten scans.

But the more interesting question to me is, what unit or rank does the guy on the photo have?

GreyC

That is a doctor's rank on the collar, isn't it?

The problem is, I can't see a name of the man who sent the card.

One could think, that it´s a doctor, but normally they had shoulder boards. Thjose collar stars were worn by "Landsturmpflichtige Ärzte", but they had only one or two stars and a staff of Aesculapius. If no staff of Aesculapius (only the snake), it was a veterinarian, but he also had only one or two stars.

208.Inf.Div. (Strichdivision, Res.Inf.Rgt. 65, Sanitätsoffizier mit Litzen, ,Landsturmpflichtiger Arzt in Stabsarztstelle).JPG

Edited by The Prussian