Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Usual medical classifications

ciarangreen

Hello all,

I'm researching a family member who was in the Army Veterinary Corps during the First World War. I am familiar with the letter-number medical classification system used by the British army at the time. However, it appears that, whilst in Salonika, he was classified as TB or IB, and later reclassified as PBI or PB1 with the addendum 'anaemia and debilities'. He was later 'Reclassified A by M.B.' (not visible on attachment), which only adds to the confusion. I have attached an image of the document in question and would appreciate any and all suggestions. I would be delighted (and not surprised) to discover that I have made an amateur error and that there is a simple explanation. Many thanks in advance.

31239_205540-00667.jpg

Thanks for your reply Chris. I did wonder about this possibility. Do you know if that he means he was deemed fit to serve at a temporary base? That he was transferred to a temporary base? That the No. 11 Veterinary Hospital was classified as a temporary base? Or something else entirely? Again, apologies for the lack of experience.

Hello ciaran

"Temporary Base" means that he was temporarily classified as only suitable for service at a Base. His medical condition would be reviewed periodically and he would either be classified as A or B if his health improved, or "Permanent Base" if it was not likely to improve.

Ron