Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cricketers KiA on The Western Front

phil1963

Should anybody be remotely interested in this sporting topic I have done a lot of research and traced/photographed the graves of about 40 close to Arras and another 30 odd in Belgium including 40 odd listed on war memorials. I have also found a few such graves here in the UK andwrote a couple of A5 size booklets for the cricket market initially.

Welcome to the Forum Phil.

Cricket has cropped up on previous occasions, such as a thread a few months ago concerning Colin Blythe's epilesy. If you have a go with the search button I'm sure you will find something to interest you.

Prompted by a similar question concerning county losses, which CCC lost most players in the war?

I have also found a few such graves here in the UK andwrote a couple of A5 size booklets for the cricket market initially.

Phil,

Would this be the Cricketers Died series?

Do you have any information beyond the CWGC record on the Kent cricketer DW Jennings?

Phil, i for one, would be interested, a worthy topic indeed.

Kate, don't have the answer to the question, but as County Cricket volunteers, i think Yorkshire has a pretty good claim to that.

Attached, Yorkshire 1911.

Booth is in the back row, third from the left (killed in action 1/7/16)

Kilner front left (wounded in right wrist but fortunately was a left handed bowler) Dolphin front row

post-1-1105888240.jpg

Hi Phil,

As an Aussie it's difficult not to be interested in cricket especially the way the team is playing at the moment (well I had to rub it in Brits). I discoovered this guy was killed at Gallopoli = BACKMAN, Charles James (1884-1915). There is more information at this website:

http://www.aigs.org.au/featurearticlemarch.htm

Backman was among the thousands of Australians to answer the national call to arms in 1914, immediately after the war’s declaration. He enlisted for service with AIF on 29 August and, after completing his basic training, embarked for Egypt on the Ascanius in October, as a sergeant in ‘C’ Company of the 10th Battalion. There, further training prepared his unit for action against the Turkish forces in the Dardenelles.

There are many graphic accounts of the Australian landings at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and the confusion that ensued. In The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918, Charles Bean recorded that ‘C’ Company was amongst the first ashore. An account of the landing left with the Canberra War Memorial by a comrade confirms that Backman made it to the beach. However, the company was split up and he never saw Backman again. Another stated that Backman died on the beach but this was unsubstantiated. There was no roll call for the 10th Battalion until 28 April, when Backman was reported wounded and missing. Subsequent contact with the American Embassy in Constantinople was made in an attempt to ascertain whether he was held in Turkish hands. It wasn’t until an inquiry was held in June 1916 that his status was changed from missing to killed in action during the period 25-29 April. Official records assume that he was fatally wounded on the first day during the advance from the shore and crawled away into the scrub, where he died.

Robbie

My research would lead me to suggest that the two University teams lost most although the memorial board in the Long Room at The Oval (home of Surrey CC) shows about 30 of their players died - albeit many like Esme Chinnery (what a superb grave he lies under near Ockham, Surrey) played just one game.

Yes my research is from the cricketers died books I'm not a whizz with computers or the Internet but if you go to www.cricketarchive.co.uk and go to the "partners" tab on the front page - scroll to the bottom where my name is - hit that -- and up comes my web site built by someone else who has more skills that I!!!!

there are a few players featured under Vol 4 and Vol 7 who were KIA.

Interesting. A mate of mine collects Wisdens and has a copy from 1917. Apart from a couple of public school games, the rest is obituaries.

Whilst researching who had been killed and where, I established that people who had first-class cricket were buried or listed on war memorials in over different 30 countries. To trace the exact number killed in both wars would be a colossal task - my guess it that it is over 500 - to trace their graves, an even larger job!! So far I have photographed about 80.

The photo that will hopefully come up each time I post something on here is a memorial to England cricketer Harold larwood which is to be found on the front of the house where he was brought up, near Nottingham in England.

Phil.

Percy Jeeves (Warwickshire CCC), 15th Royal Warwicks, KIA 23/7/17 during attack on Wood Lane near High Wood. Attached to Brigade MGC.

Terry

I expect you are aware of Kenneth Lotherington Hutchings of Kent and England. He is commemorated on my home town memorial at Southborough near Tunbridge Wells.

Phil,

I have a reasonable list compiled from Wisden obituaries etc, if you're interest? I can post it or e-mail you, whatever? A selection is here, but I have quite a few others

Marshal A Pte. AIF 15th. Pieta MC

Burr FB Lt. Worcs 3rd. Kemmel Chateau Cem

Gold CA Lt & Adjt R Berks 5th Aveluy CCE

Jaques A Capt W Yks Loos Mem

Backman CJ Sgt AIF 10th

Molineux GK Capt N'umb Fus Menin Gate

Thomson EP Maj R Munst Fus

Parker WM Capt RB Menin Gate

Curwen WJH Capt RF Menin Gate

Toynbee GPR Capt RB Ploegsteert Mem

Wilson GD Capt RFA Cambrai Mem

Wood GD Lt Suff Loos Mem 37-38

Logan H Lt Leics Yeo Tournai CC Allied Extn

McLoughin KR Maj KGO Fezeropre Sikhs 14thNeuve-Chapelle Indian Mem

Eyre CH Lt KRRC Dud Corner Cem

Sandeman GAC Capt Hants Menin Gate

Torrens AA Maj RFA Pozieres BC

Docker GAM Capt RF Le Touquet Railway Crossing Cem

Rattigan CS Capt RF Thiepval

Davidson WL Col RHA St. Sever Cem

• 9 years later...

My book, Final Wicket", comes out next year, Pen and Sword. it lists with photos and bios of all the 1st Class cricketers who were killed during WW1. hope u buy and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Noble, photos won't come out no idea why, could you send again? Also Robbie link can't be got keeps coming up with error. That said thanks to all for making the effort and for the information very much appreciated. Keep it coming. Nigel

Chris Noble, photos won't come out no idea why, could you send again? Also Robbie link can't be got keeps coming up with error. That said thanks to all for making the effort and for the information very much appreciated. Keep it coming. Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Do you require a photo of Percy Jeeves? He is noted by Terry Carter in an earlier post on this thread. I have his photo somewhere so if you need a copy then let me know.

I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago regarding an Irish Rugby Inernational called Francis Henry Browning--did you receive it?

Let me know on both these.

Regards, Robert