Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC2 Scotland 100Days to Victory

Steven Broomfield

Covered in woad, wearing a kilt and speaking Canadian-style French. Several boxes ticked.

About the only positive was that my wife was out this evening, so we avoided the conversation which concludes with her saying: “zIf you’re just going to point out errors, why don’t you turn it off?”

At one point Germans were bombarded by gas and one of them shouted ‘Senf gas’. The subtitle was ‘mustard gas’.

Yes, ‘Senf gas’ would be a literal translation of ‘mustard gas’, but German soldiers didn’t say it. They called the stuff ‘Yperit’.

Another instance of the old question that arises with programmes like this: If there is a grotesque but trivial blunder, how much does that matter?

26 minutes ago, Interested said:

No-one said it had to be a balanced presentation, but it seems a bit OTT, no mention of the other allies at all.  Even the tanks have White/Red/White (Canadian?) markings on them.

Can't wait to see the advance on the Hindenberg Line at the Canal du Nord next week, started by the Manchesters and LFs, but the glory will go to the Commonwealth infantry, I expect. :(

Hi

The White/Red/White was for recognition purposes from March 1918:

1244873983_atkart031.jpg.96f05f178302965d95ca83212841d1cd.jpg

It was the winner out of the final 3 suggestions:

1533391756_atkart030.jpg.1c3cb9547406f39b77e6f5aff74a7996.jpg

Other markings had been tried out in experiments previously. 

I have yet to watch the programme.

Mike

7 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

I have yet to watch the programme.

Mike

I don't wish to spoilt the ending, but it was the Vicar.

I stand corrected!! :wacko:

Thanks for the clarification, you'll see the colour bands on the side of one tank, as well as on the roof.

Something for the pedants; One French General (Foch?) is subtitled saying something along the lines of "..we captured lots of material".  Materiel, surely!

No, 'material' was right. He was looking for new curtains

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Of course!

I recall reading that the advancing German troops found quantities of everything they'd been deprived of for the last couple of years (French wine, good cheese etc.) which halted their advance, giving them time to pull down curtains to take back home. ;)

I managed 35 minutes before reaching my $&!+ point, but I was watching through gritted teeth as it were from about 5 minutes in.

5 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I don't wish to spoilt the ending, but it was the Vicar.

In the library? length of lead pipe?

I am aware that the back of my blazer will be covered in gob for saying this, but I think young Snow and his Dad covered this period of the War far better.

Agree entirely with Chris BKer post #14. Except that I watched it to the end but can’t remember why...

I struggled through to the end and have now slept on the matter so can give a slightly more balanced view.

Sh&te.

Out of interest, in 1918 would a British General use metric measurements, and if he did, would he pronounce it Killomitter

Yes it's all a bit tiresome. I am reminded of what Robert Rhodes James wrote in his preface to his book Gallipoli about the heroism of the Anzacs requiring no mythology. The Australians and the Canadians were only one fifth of the British Army and a good percentage of the AIF were born in Britain. The Bolton papers have many pen pictures of Boltonians who had emigrated and who were serving in the AIF and I imagine most provincial papers from working class areas were the same. One man wrote to his mother to say that he would try and get to see her if he got leave but that if he survived he would return to Australia because you did n't have to doff your cap to anyone there. Fair enough, have a go at the class system that prevented talented Divisional Commanders from getting to the top and have a go at Haig.

I wonder if the programme will mention the 42nd and 46th Division when it covers the Hindenburg Line.

Brian

Like Chris post #14 I managed 10 minutes and switched off and for similar reasons. I was intending to list all the things that were so wrong but haven't got the time nor inclination. 

15 hours ago, maxi said:

I am aware that the back of my blazer will be covered in gob for saying this, but I think young Snow and his Dad covered this period of the War far better.

Seconded.

Anyway i reckon the second episode is going to be the one when Wonder Woman turns up.

26 minutes ago, GaryG said:

Seconded.

Anyway i reckon the second episode is going to be the one when Wonder Woman turns up.

Beware, that might turn out to be a ME TOO moment, with Haig in drag posing as Wonder Woman, in order to impress his Dominion Corps commanders with his enlightened side....he was, after all, a Scotsman.

Phil

16 hours ago, Interested said:

I stand corrected!! :wacko:

Thanks for the clarification, you'll see the colour bands on the side of one tank, as well as on the roof.

Something for the pedants; One French General (Foch?) is subtitled saying something along the lines of "..we captured lots of material".  Materiel, surely!

Hi

I hope the markings were as per instructions:

2099512636_atkart027.jpg.0634c6cc8e9ebb8a71cbeca1dc7506d5.jpg

1762380115_atkart028.jpg.8f37adf587c1c8a10c23d102d3b66b69.jpg

1230650865_atkart029.jpg.9b188238f8461e1bc41d3661c9b1431c.jpg

Mike

Near the end of the programme Haig said to Currie and Monash something like ‘We’re doing pretty well so far. Let’s press on with the attack.’ But the shrewd colonial generals said ‘No, we should break off this battle and attack on another part of the front’. Haig says ‘Oh, right. I’ll take your advice.’

Anybody know if anything like that actually happened?

Hi

I have now managed to watch it.  Unless I missed something I think the biggest problem with the programme was the fact that the Fourth Army, Rawlinson and his staff appear not to have any input into the Amiens operation!?  Currie and Monash working 'directly' with GHQ and Haig (and his staff), both controlling their 'Armies'.  In a national sense of course these were the 'armies' of Canada and Australia, however, in the BEF sense on the Western Front they were 'Corps' and were under the command of an 'Army' HQ.  Maybe this would have been too confusing for the presumed 'audience' therefore the production team 'simplified' it all?  However, at the very least it has 'distorted' the history of the planning of the battle.

Sadly yet again, during these anniversary years, we have another disappointing TV production on the history of WW1 and another opportunity lost to give the public a more accurate image of the war!

Mike

PS  Of course there were other problems with it but what's the point in discussing them, nothing will change!

2 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

PS  Of course there were other problems with it but what's the point in discussing them, nothing will change!

And that, I am afraid, sums up the whole sorry saga of the Centenary bandwagon.

Have not watched yet, about to.

And will try and see it to the End. Even before seeing and reading comments, this piece of work will be around longer than us. This will be what most will take as what happened.

G.T.K.