Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
gio.eod.76

A little help....

gio.eod.76

Hello,

my name is Georgios and I am an EOD in the Greek Army. A few days ago we found a 75mm artillery shell. I had never encountered this one. Neither my colleagues. It was found in northern Greece, near the boarder Greece-Skopie(aka FYROM) in the municipality of Kilkis. The area was a majos battlefield in WWI. The weapons that were used there were British,French and German.

I searched for days the data base, the internet but I couldn't find it. I think it's a chemical/special gas. History sais that no chemical weapons were used in Greece. So, historically I would like to know if that is true. Furthermore I have to dispose it next week and I would like to know what I am dealing with. Is there someone here that could help me? Thank you

20181018_124845.jpg

20181018_124845 (1).jpg

20181018_124857.jpg

20181018_124908.jpg

20181018_124940.jpg

20181018_125012.jpg

20181018_125652.jpg

Edited by gio.eod.76

johnboy

Hi . and welcome

There should be markings on the base. These give a lot of info to those members who know about ammo,a picture of the base would be helpful

keithmroberts

HI

my understanding is that British forces in the Great War certainly had some gas shells. I suggest that you contact the ii Ordnance Disposal Regiment of the Royal Logistics Corps.  We can't give direct advice on this site, and we, are very definitely NOT qualified to do so.   I would hope that someone there could help you.  https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-logistic-corps/11-eod-regiment/

Keith Roberts

GWF Team

gio.eod.76
2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

HI

my understanding is that British forces in the Great War certainly had some gas shells. I suggest that you contact the ii Ordnance Disposal Regiment of the Royal Logistics Corps.  We can't give direct advice on this site, and we, are very definitely NOT qualified to do so.   I would hope that someone there could help you.  https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-logistic-corps/11-eod-regiment/

Keith Roberts

GWF Team

Thank you Mr.Keith

gio.eod.76

Jonhboy, I checked the base. There is nothing. Thank you for your time to reply.

johnboy
gio.eod.76

It has to be British, French or German. The Greek front with the British and the French army used their own weapons and the German front with the Bulgarians used German weapons.

johnboy

\\\\\\the only French and \british ones I have seen normally have markings of manufacture, size . date made and inspection marks or if have been refilled, Could yours be a Mortar?? I don't know if they were marked,

Gardenerbill

Could it be Turkish, there was a Turkish division in the Struma valley at one point, or from the Balkan wars.

Edited by Gardenerbill

gio.eod.76

I think the Turkish used German weapons and munition

m0rris

Comparison of British and French 75mm shell. As an artist/designer I don't think the number lettering looks British - particularly the "5". I may of course be wrong..

johnboy

I now think it is German, There are pics on the web showing no markings on the base, Still not sure if itis a shell or mortar.

gio.eod.76
On 26/10/2018 at 12:58, m0rris said:

Comparison of British and French 75mm shell. As an artist/designer I don't think the number lettering looks British - particularly the "5". I may of course be wrong..

Thank you very much !!!