Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did my late g.uncle serve or was he just a reserve?

bodger99

(I'm not sure if this is the correct forum - please redirect me if it isn't.)

The attached form relates to a late g.uncle Hyman Levinson.

1] It appears to show him being enlisted, but then what - was he placed in reserve or actually posted to somewhere?

2] Is '5217' his service no.?

3] What does '2/4 B.Watch' mean?

4] He signed the oath on 10 Dec 1915 but the 'Certificate of the Approving Officer', is dated May 1916 so was this anything to do with the Military Service Act that became law in January 1916 which introduced conscription for military service or did he sign up voluntarily?

miuk1914a_085292-00787.jpg

Edited by bodger99
Posted by mistake - I was only halfway through drafting!

That doc is but one of several pages. He attested 10/12/15. Called up for service 5/5/16. He was discharged unfit for service on 8/8/16. This seems to be due to deformity in feet and legs that he had had from infancy. During his brief service he was used as a regimental tailor.

A couple of answers...yes, 5217 would be his Regimental Number.  '2/4 B.Watch' would presumably be the 2nd-line element of the 4th Battalion, Black Watch.  From what I can discover, it was a Territorial Battalion based in Dundee.  It's official title was probably 2/4th (City of Dundee) Battalion, Black Watch Regiment.    

Edited by Buffnut453

Thank you SO much guys for those extremely prompt replies. Mark1959: I'm absolutely fascinated, though, as to where you found out that info. - I'd like to be able to reference it as a source in a family history that I'm researching?

Thanks again. 

His pension record is available on Ancestry.com.  The page you provided in the original post is merely the first of 6 pages, one of which includes a description of his general character.  

There is a medal record for a Hyman Levinson who served in the Monmouthshire Regt and, later, the Labour Corps...but I presume this was a different man (a cousin, perhaps?).  Just in case, here's the info from his Medal Index Card:

First name(s) Hyman
Last name Levinson
Year 1914-20
Service number 3960, 381765
Second service number 381765
Rank Private,Private
Second rank Private
Regiment Monmouthshire Regiment, Labour Corps
Second corps Labour Corps
Service record Soldier Number: 3960, Rank: Private, Corps: Monmouthshire Regiment
Second service record Soldier Number: 381765, Rank: Private, Corps: Labour Corps
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3655974
Country Great Britain
Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
Archive reference WO372/12
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

2 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

would

Your great uncle attested under the Derby Scheme. You will have noticed at the top right hand corner of the first page of his record the Card No 6. For details of the scheme see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/the-group-scheme-derby-scheme/

Buffnut is quite correct. 

Use the arrows in each side of the screen on ancestry to navigate through docs. Also note ancestry often takes you into the middle of a man's docs - so always try left and right until you get to the end of the man's docs in each direction.

findmypast is different and always takes you to the start

Ancestry' indexing is also less than accurate. Always worth trying variations of names or just searching by a number etc. If you still do not find anything then ask on the forum. If some of the contributors here cannot find it then no one will

Heid the Ba: his elder brother actually!

Buffnut/Mark: many thanks for the tips on ancestry - just shows you, I've been a member for a few months and never realised about the L/R arro

familyhistoryman - v.interesting reading on the Derby scheme.

Thanks again to all you guys.