Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Supply Train 414

Hello all-

I have the letters and memorabilia of Captain William C. Berry of the 414th Motor Supply Train A.E.F, which ended the war in Coblenz, Germany. He remained in France and studied at the Sorbonne in Paris. I have photos of himself and several of his friends in uniform in Europe; even a photo of the entire motor supply train with the Rhein in the background (the photo includes their trucks) yet I can't seem to find anything on line about them. In one of his letters he claims they "must be the on ly mot.sup. tr. to serve both the Marines and Army". They were trained at Fort Riley, Kansas. 

Can anyone tell me more about this unit?

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you come across the Center of Military History? When I was looking for a specific interest of mine I found that they had a number of volumes of United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919 which gave me some detail around a specific date about the unit that I was looking for (called sometimes as the 'first to fight'). I wonder if there might be something in the volumes for 414 Motor Supply Train?

Regards

Chris

Hello Justin. and welcome to the Forum!

From the (admittedly limited) information I have on the composition of US infantry divisions, it appears that Motor Supply Train 414 was not part of any division. It may have been Army or Corps Troops, but more likely it came under the Services of Supply - what in British parlance would be called Lines of Communication Troops.

I would certainly endorse Chris' suggestion to look at Volume 1 of United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919.

If the unit served bot the Army and the Marines, it is very likely that it was involved in supplying the 2nd Infantry Division, which included a brigade of Marines. I don't think that any other divisions had a Marine component.

Good luck!

Ron

As I've read more and more of Cpt. Berry's letters' it would seem that they were in France right along side the Marines at Belleau Wood and were the go to for the front line for all American troops that were put into action until further Mtr Sply Trns were shipped over, and theres plenty of letters of Capt. Berry complained about finding parts for his studebakers, Chrysler's and orhers. There is a letter that made me outright cry: one of the American(?) Units commanders insisted on action up to the 11th hour and lost 27 men in the action

• 5 months later...

Hello Justin,

browsing Cpt. Berry's material, did you find any reference to a car accident happened on September 4th 1918? I am researching on a soldier part of the 441st MTC (414th Motor Supply Train) who died in that accident. His name was Antonio Mancuso, an Italian living in Brooklyn, I was trying to identify where this accident happened. His first burial was in the twon of Millery (Mheurte et Meuselle), hence I believe the 441st was not far from there those days.

Thanks for double checking!