Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E Johnson T/293361 ASC

Canny Steve

Hi everyone

I'm about to take my mate on his first trip to the Western Front and thought it would be nice if he could relate to the experience on a personal level. With that in mind, he has his Great Gran dad's war medals, but no information other than that. All he knows is he was Ernest Johnson, T/293361 A.S.C. Does anyone know I can find out anymore information other than that? Is it possible to find out who A.S.C. units were attached to so that I could find a regimental diary that might point me to where they were during the war?

Thanks

Steve

Where was he born? When was he born? Where did he live? You must say what you know already and it will save a lot of time in the long run.

Unfortunately, without a surviving service record, you will be find it extremely difficult to trace an ASC man's movements.

Although you can roughly date a man's call up from his number, that will have no relationship whatsoever to his movements.

The T/ prefix tells you he was a driver  in Horse Transport.

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Where was he born? When was he born? Where did he live? You must say what you know already and it will save a lot of time in the long run.

As I said that's all the info he has, two medals, I though it would probably be a long shot, even more so as its ASC

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Unfortunately, without a surviving service record, you will be find it extremely difficult to trace an ASC man's movements.

Although you can roughly date a man's call up from his number, that will have no relationship whatsoever to his movements.

The T/ prefix tells you he was a driver  in Horse Transport.

Thanks, that was my understanding that it was probably going to be a lost cause! Are there any diary's as such for ASC?

He doesn't know where his grand Dad was born or lived?

39 minutes ago, Canny Steve said:

Thanks, that was my understanding that it was probably going to be a lost cause! Are there any diary's as such for ASC?

The ASC was made up of over 1200 companies.

All created extensive diaries.

Most still survive, but some are lost.

Most give comprenensive details about movements, but without a service record, you won't know which ASC Company diary to consult.

A last throw of the dice could be to see if an Absent Voters List has survived for his area of residence. (Most no longer exist). Then to see idf he is listed on such a list.

But if your friend has no details about him, then I suspect that option is also a non-starter.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

He doesn't know where his grand Dad was born or lived?

Nope, thinks he might have lived in Tottenham or Wood Green as his Grandad was from Tottenham. His memory sadly is a pair of medals in a box. 

You're in luck, there are some service papers.

His address was 2 Mullins Road, Mortlake, Surrey

Enlisted 1916 to 3/1st West Kent Yeomanry, age 40

Then transferred to the ASC, attached to veterinary hospital. Served in France and also British Forces in Italy in 1918

Gives wife's name, 2 children.

18 minutes ago, Neil 2242 said:

You're in luck, there are some service papers.

His address was 2 Mullins Road, Mortlake, Surrey

Enlisted 1916 to 3/1st West Kent Yeomanry, age 40

Then transferred to the ASC, attached to veterinary hospital. Served in France and also British Forces in Italy in 1918

Gives wife's name, 2 children.

You sir are a legend! Have I completely missed the service papers on Ancestry?  :wacko:

3 minutes ago, Neil 2242 said:

I use FindmyPast, can't speak for Ancestry

Not the first time that Ancestry missed a service record that FMP has found.

Can you post the link Neil?

1 minute ago, Neil 2242 said:

I use FindmyPast, can't speak for Ancestry

Many thanks, certainly more information than he's ever known before!