Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Waller 30347 RAMC

Tavern Druid

Hi Forum

I wonder if there are any members who may have a lists of men who enlisted in the RAMC?

I am trying to find as much as as I can on

W Waller S/n 30347 RAMC.

The only records I can find online are his Medal Index card and the Medal Roll for the 14-15 Star, both of which I have downloaded.

He was awarded all three of the WW1 medals.

I would at least be able to find his forename but if possible like to find as much as I can,

Many thanks

David

If you check his 1914-15 Star Roll it is arranged alphabetically but everyone on the list arrived 10/7/1915. Assuming that date's correct and as PJS says it's not always the case but 44835 Womack has a set of pension files. This shows he arrived in Havre 10/7/1915 so that's a good start! Womack was admitted to 47 Field Ambulance in December 1915, he then took leave while with 47 Field Ambulance a month later so I'd say that his original unit was 47 Field Ambulance.

47 Field Ambulance was part of the 15th Scottish division who arrived in France at this time. So as a starting point there is a probability that Waller/Walter was also 15th Division.

TEW

On 22/10/2018 at 15:32, DavidOwen said:

Hi his forename was William according to the MIC on Ancestry 

image.png.4cd40537596314c7205111201d0a2555.png

Hi David

I must had my eyes or my brian switched off when I read this MiCas i didn't see his forename !!!!!

Thanks

2 hours ago, TEW said:

If you check his 1914-15 Star Roll it is arranged alphabetically but everyone on the list arrived 10/7/1915. Assuming that date's correct and as PJS says it's not always the case but 44835 Womack has a set of pension files. This shows he arrived in Havre 10/7/1915 so that's a good start! Womack was admitted to 47 Field Ambulance in December 1915, he then took leave while with 47 Field Ambulance a month later so I'd say that his original unit was 47 Field Ambulance.

47 Field Ambulance was part of the 15th Scottish division who arrived in France at this time. So as a starting point there is a probability that Waller/Walter was also 15th Division.

TEW

Thank you  I will follow this up

22 hours ago, PJS said:

David,

Be cautious with dates, etc. on RAMC MICs. I have found some of them to be incorrect (more so than with MICs in general). See this post here:https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/261471-pvt-leonard-john-monks-ramc-war-history/?do=findComment&comment=2665170

Peter

Thank you Peter I'll have to watch out for these.

21 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Ancestry has his Pair Roll indexed under the name WIlliam Walter

Hi Mark

I have no idea what his Pair Roll is.

Don't think I have ever come across one.

Can you enlighten me please

Thanks

David

His British War Medal and the Victory medal are the pair. The 'pair' are on a separate roll to his 14-15 Star medal. The blue writing on the MIC is a reference to the 'pair' roll. As one medal is for Waller and the 'pair' are to Walter I guess it's just an admin error but one that wasn't corrected as they weren't returned for reissue.

TEW

Edited by TEW

Is that the david waller of Claire and Andrea fame?

Steve