Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID please- OK West Riding- but who is he ?

charlie962

Can you help me please ID this cap badge of 1914? One of the units within an Indian Army Division, I believe, landing in France.

Thanks

Charlie

IrishCapbadge6.JPG.f1b659c6254098618625f5ad044fbcdd.JPG                                                       

Edited by charlie962

The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment.  This was the only regiment named after a commoner rather than a Royal personage.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you. I see it now. And the two tone nature of the badge shows well. But it complicates (ie widens) my research, because the 1st Bn remained in India  throughout and the 2nd Bn went from Ireland to LeHavre Aug 1914 as part of 5th Div.

Charlie

Annoyingly similar to the 7th Dragoon Guards, which DID come from India in an Indian Division ... but not theirs.

On 22/10/2018 at 14:56, charlie962 said:

But it complicates (ie widens) my research

Perhaps I can narrow it down again. Said man is a Sergeant and  is wearing a  red cross brassard on his right arm. The date of the photo fits with the transit of the 3rd Lahore Division in early Oct 1914. There were five Field Ambulance units- 7 and 8 BFA, 111,112 and 113 IFA. At least two of these units had sergeants from the West Riding Regiment at the time ( this by looking through the 1914 Star roll for West Riding).

So the man is possibly Sergeant

6784 Clement SKELTON , 113 IFA,  ( who has a very messy MIC giving then taking away 1914 Star. He might have got it back in the end) Subsequently Commissioned.

or

6876 Joseph KENDALL , 8 BFA,     subsequently commissioned.

Service Papers (OR) survive but don't help. Officer Service files exist at NA but probably wont help.

1826785110_Rollinat1914Irish1a.jpg.79386dda4a1abfce3a8af8402d5071b6.jpg  that is him, seated, second from left. I suspect the other two sergeants are from other FA units in similar roles. I have a separate post on the 8th Hussars Sgt.

Does anyone have a photo of NCO's 1st  West Riding 1914 to compare ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

The West Riding sgt in the photo has medal ribbons

WestRidingSgtmedamlribbons.JPG.a45a0e5f7f57c04612d326ce8333a860.JPG

Kendall has a Durbar Medal but there seem to be two ribbons ?

Charlie  

Two ribbons in my opinion, which implies Skelton.

Skelton was awarded the QSA and Dehli Durbar while with the 1st Bn. He was transferred to the 2nd as can be see on the QSA roll.

Charlie

7D772BF8-1F49-42A5-A60E-BEFB4E0BC611.jpeg

Good work, team. He (Skelton) becomes the lead contender.  To my eyes the ribbons fit reasonably to QSA and vaguely to Durbar. Need to try and find another photo, maybe as officer

This is from 113 IFA WD (thanksto Ancestry). Remarkable detail irrelevant to a War Diary !

209866736_SkeltonC113FAtrf.JPG.4410b1099d86009b82f9bc7bb65b0384.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Skelton (MC 1916) is one of your ADRIC men, @corisande . Would you possibly have him in a photo ?

Company Sergt.-Major Clement Skelton (6784), West Riding Regiment, son of Mr. H. Skelton, Pinder Farm, Pellon.-When the officers had become casualties he took command of two companies and showed great determination in consolidating the ground captured. M.C. -

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Sorry no photo. What I have is

https://www.theauxiliaries.com/men-alphabetical/men-s/skelton-c/c-skelton.html

I always put the photos on if I have them :-)

I must update his page now.

39 minutes ago, corisande said:

I must update his page now

Thanks.Pity about the photo. He still remains a strong possibility

You will note that having been entitled to 1914 star it was destroyed and replaced with a 14/15 Star. But this was subsequently returned and replaced (1922 I think ) with 1914 Star and clasp ! War Diary makes it obvious he was entitled although pig's ear over entry date on the records

29/8/14 was the date ship left Karachi

20/9/14 was a nonsense date but is on the MIC

26/9/14 was the date ship landed Marseilles and his correct date appearing on supplementary 1914 Star Roll

27/11/14 was date he left 113 IFA or date he arrived at 2WRR but was used for justifying 14/15 Star

Edited by charlie962

Although not the front runner, I note that

Joseph Kendall also won the MC and was Captain in Lincolnshire Regt, then attached to 3rd Nigeria Regt.

His MIC has incorrect entry date 29/8/14 which was date ship left Karachi.