Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strazeele front line

Robert Wilcher

I am visiting Flanders / Villers-Bretonneux in November for the centenary of the Armistice and to follow the path of my grandfather Capt William Pitt Adams of B coy, 6th Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Australian AIF.  He was shot in the head on 20 Sept 1917 at Glencorse Wood (and I have lots of information about that). But he was gassed at Strazeele on 6 June 1918, and I am struggling to find any information about that “stint” - where the front line was, where his Company and Battalion were situated, any battle plans. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Robert, the war diary of his battalion exists and can be obtained free of charge from the website of the Australian War Memorial. The same is true of the brigade and divisional headquarters. They will provide chapter and verse and will probably also include maps. 

The index to all of the diaries is at https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/AWM4/

Edited by Chris_Baker

Thanks Chris, I have been through all the AWM Diaries, but have not been able to find any maps, or the location of the front at the time. For eg,  I have maps of the disposition of troops for the Battle of Menin Rd, when my grandfather was injured on 20 Sept 1917, but am having trouble locating anything similar for 6 June at Strazeele. The AWM War Diary for the 2nd Brigade contains a very difficult to read disposition map at the end, so I don’t know if that was for the end of the month or earlier, or was a general month long map. Nor do I know if 6 June was part of any major campaign. The search continues…

You will have seen, then, that the war diary reports that on 4 June the battalion moved up from a reserve position to relieve the 11th Bn AIF in the front line. It gives precise grid map references for battalion and company HQs and the various posts that made up the front line of the time. HQ was in grid location E.4.b.9.8 and the posts between E.6.c and X.25.c. I have marked these locations on the map, below (HQ with a red flag and the two ends of the line occupied with blue flags). This was pretty much where the line settled when the German attack of April 1918 (the Battle of the Lys) was finally halted.

The diary also reports shellfire including use of gas. No major battle was going on at this time.

I hope that this helps.

PS I know a couple of really good books about the April battle, and the (ahem, my) latest covers the fighting at Strazeele in some detail.

Capture.JPG

This map is in the May diary of 2nd Brigade HQ: 

Capture.JPG

Although it talks about a village to the west of Strazeele (Borre) this page on my website includes a map showing the position of the line at the end of the Battle of the Lys: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battlefields/gazetteer-of-the-western-front/gazeteer-of-the-western-front-borre/

Edited by Chris_Baker

Dear Chris,

Thank you so very much. The fact that you have written a book (books I assume) proves you are both a gentleman and a scholar. Very much appreciated it. Research dilettante that I am, I couldn’t find the diary of 2nd Brigade HQ so am particularly appreciative of your input.

Is your latest book The Battle of the Lys 1918: South: Objective Hazebrouck? I’d love to read it. Should I order through Amazon or is there a better way?

Cheers

Rob Wilcher

That's the one Rob. It's actually one of a pair, with the northern element of the Lys offensive being covered in the second volume.

Amazon is as good a way as any, although you should be able to find it via any good bookseller. The publishers Pen & Sword also sell from their own website: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Battle-of-the-Lys-1918-South-Paperback/p/14749 (I see that the also do it in Kindle and ebook formats).