Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain John Sercombe Stranger 6Bn Devonshire Regiment

Rolyr

I am doing some research into former pupils of Queens College Taunton who died in the great war. I would be grateful for any information on Captain John Sercombe Stranger 6Bn Devonshire Regiment

He has an entry with picture in De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour. Provides a potted history. This indicates he died at a place called Es Sinn (Iraq) and was buried there. Clearly, his burial was later lost. 

Edited by Mark1959

The Commonwealth War Grave Commission website gives his date of  death as the 3rd March 1916 as does Soldiers Died in the Great War.

De Ruvignys and the Official Regimental History show he died on the 8th March 1916. The latter gives details of the attack on the Turkish trenches on pages 121-122 which can be seen here:-

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/library/The-Devonshire-Regiment-1914-1918/index.asp#/152/

Captain Strange is listed amongst those officers who were shot down on trying to lead the line forward.

regards,

Peter

Captain John Sercombe Stranger of the 6th Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment. Son of John Henry and Ellen Stranger of Lower Square, Holsworthy. Born in Holsworthy in the September Quarter of 1886. Died 3 March 1916 aged 29.

Entry from the 1916 Probate Calendar attached. Note its just means Lilian Irene Stranger was a widow, not necessarily his widow. That will need to be confirmed from other sources..

The relevant page of the calendar can be seen here:-

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Stranger&yearOfDeath=1916&page=2#calendar

Edited to update - there is a possible marriage. A John S Stranger married a Lilian I. Fairbourn in the Aylesbury District of Buckinghamshire in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1912. There is only one instance of a birth registered in England and Wales between 1911-1983 with the surname Stranger, mothers maiden name Fairbourn, and that was a Marjorie K Stranger whose birth was registered in the Holsworthy District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1914.

As far as the civil records for England & Wales are concerned it doesn't look like Lilian ever remarried and so is probably the 60 year old Lilian I Stranger whose death was recorded in the Chichester District of Sussex in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1947. (No obvious Probate).

John Sercome Stranger 1916 Probate Calendar Entry sourced probatesearch service gov uk.png

Edited by PRC
Update