Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to interpret Royal Navy Seaman's record

BridgetM

I am trying to flesh out the story of Walter Henry Sewell 227577, who enlisted as a Boy on 25 August 1903, and signed on for 12 years 27th December 1905. My interest is because he was one of the crew of HM Submarine E24, lost with all hands when she struck a mine in the Heligoland Bight on 27 March 1916.

Looking at the image of his service record, the period that interests me is the gap between serving on  Eclipse 24 Jan 09 - 2 Oct 09 and his time at Victory I 6 August 10 to 26 Sept 10. The remarks section helps here, but does not entirely clarify dates/timing - he appears to have jumped ship from Eclipse and joined the Dragoon Guards, but been reclaimed by the Navy. I attach an image of the whole of the Remarks section, most, but not all of which refers to the gap in his record. Any ideas what was meant by '* Per Eclipse Lady 09' (or am I misreading that?) and the last two lines are unclear in meaning, as I do not know the meanings of the abbreviations.

Also, how would the Navy get to hear about men reenlisting elsewhere, before their time is up?

WH Sewell Remarks section of Record.JPG

The entry "Per Eclipse...09" has to be cross-referred to the entry elsewhere on his record with the same prefix 'dotted X'.

Similarly the entry in the penultimate line "Recvd [Received] ...June 10" has to be cross-referred to an entry elsewhere with the same 'crossed tick' prefix.

Both entries are merely admin reports and add nothing to the record.

The bottom line notes that he was sentenced to 42 days imprisonment at hard labour (HL) by a punishment warrant (Wt) dated 1 July 1910.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you for that horatio2. For sake of completeness, here are the two relevant sections: the 'dotted X' in the Badges column and the crossed tick beside the Character column, both presumably being looked at in deciding suitable punishment. The three sets of dates are for service on Victory I, Eclipse and Victory I again (I am aware that Victory I is a shore establishment).

The clarification of the bottom line is most helpful, thank you.

Sewell starred Badges section.JPG

Sewell crossed tick by Character section.JPG

Interesting. An amendment to my previous. The penultimate line reads "Recovered" (not "Received"), referring to his recovery from the desertion (where his record is marked "RUN"), notified to (or by) HMS VICTORY.

Note that as well as imprisonment, he was deprived (D) on 1/7/10 of his single Good Conduct Badge, which had been granted (G) on 26/12/1908. Also, at the end of 1910 his Character was downgraded to "Fair" (F) from previous assessment of "Very Good" (VG). He received no character assessment at the end of 1909 because he was still in desertion.

Thank you, it is so helpful being able to ask someone who knows these records well. Sewell had been in the Navy a while, I wonder what triggered the decision to jump ship and join the Army? He doesn't appear (from his record) to have done anything quite so daft again. He is here: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6174652 although I haven't yet added Stories to the Timeline to talk about his parents (father 20 years in the Navy, retired to run a pub) and Walter's escapade.