Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Company of a battalion was my relative in

Barrie Greene

Hello - I’ve just joined the forum. I’m doing some research on my Great Uncle who served in 10th battalion King’s Royal Rifle Corps as a Rifleman, dying back in the UK of wounds in a military hospital in April 1918. I know quite a bit of detail about his war record and own his medals, death plaque etc. Although I know which battalion of KRRC he was in, I don’t know what Company he was in. Is there any way of establishing this to assist with my research?

• Admin

Hi Barrie and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you know quite a bit already so to help the forum members assist can you please post what is known such as name, dob, number etc.? That way there will be no duplication of effort

Good luck with the search.

Regards

David

It is usually difficult to find platoon unless it is noted in any of his records.

Thanks. Rifleman Albert Hose, number R/3017, 10th battalion King’s Royal Rifle Corps. Born 1891, wounded three times, died April 9th, 1918 in UK military hospital. Is there any way of establishing what Company of 10 KRRC he was in to assist with my research?

Hello Barrie, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid that it will be difficult to establish definitely the company in which your great-uncle served, as memn could be swapped between companies on the authority of the commanding officer. The best pointers are:

1. Do the family have any letters or other documents which name an officer under whom he served? If so, it may be possible to find his company in the battalion war diary, which usually mentions officers by name but not other ranks.

2. Are there any company or platoon photos? Again, these may help to identify officers.

3. If you know that he was involved in a particular action on a particular date, the battalion war diary may help. Alternatively, the diary may show that one particular company suffered heavy casualties on a date which was, say, seven to fourteen days before the date of his death.

Good luck!

Ron

Johnboy

He is commemorated on the screen wall of Nottingham General Cemetery

Albert died of pneumonia in Carrington Military Hospital Notts

Its quite likely as Ron mentioned above that he could have served in various companies during his period of service

he could  have started out in one platoon been wounded, and placed in another platoon  when he had  recovered  from his wounds 

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
spelling

Thanks Rray. The op said he died of wounds, I wonder if he got anything else wrong, |I spent a couple of hours on FMP and  could not find anything or on CWGC but then that could just be me,

Edited by johnboy

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Always best to check the original register

153547546_hose2.JPG.8a18b53d3e3f7a1d79cf8b081a7ae793.JPG

Source CWGC

Thanks again Ray, Pity I was searching for Albert House!