Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying uniform - Russian?

sedentarycat

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place. I was wondering if anyone can help identify the uniform in this photo and let me know if there are any other details of interest in it. This man is my great-uncle, who was an ethnic German living in Volhynia when the war broke out. After having looked around a bit at various uniforms, I believe this to be a Russian infantry uniform. Is there anything else that can be determined from this photo? I think there are some numbers on his shoulders, but I can't make out what they are and I'm not sure what they refer to. Also, he appears to be wearing some sort of medal. Any idea what it might be? 

JohannJungWWIcropped.jpg

Hello!

To me it´s a russian one. Could you take a close-up of the shoulder boards, please?

I'm not sure if the resolution is good enough for this to help, but here is a close-up. To me, it looks like it might be the number "244" but I'm not sure.

JohannJungWWIshoulderboards.jpg

Hello!

It really looks like a 244.

Probably russian Inf.Rgt.244. I think the russians changed their shoulder boards during the war. Maybe first the number of the division, later the one of the regiment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/61st_Infantry_Division_(Russian_Empire)