Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemoration Event - Barrow Hill, Derbyshire. 03/11

Medaler

Probably only of interest to members in the Chesterfield area, but I am putting on a modest display of local casualty medals as part of the village centenary commemorations. On the bright side both admission and parking are free, so it will cost you nothing to attend. I doubt that my efforts would stand much comparison with Lord Ashcroft's collection but, if you are available and local, you might find it interesting. Alongside my medals there will also be a good and informative display about the casualties from the village which I have helped to research.

The exhibition itself is being held within what we believe to be the largest Memorial Hall in Derbyshire. Not all of the building is in use at the moment, but arrangements are being made to try and secure its future. All funds raised by the sale of refreshments etc will be used to further those ambitions so this is also a charity event.

If you would like more info, please chuck me a PM.

Regards,

Mike

Act of Remembrance Flyer.jpg

53 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Hope it is a successful day

Many thanks for your support Johnboy. I will try and post some pictures when it's all over.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

I was raised in Baslow not too far from you. Now I'm a bit further away. Looking forward to seeing the photos 

Regards from Down Under

10 hours ago, Simmo said:

Hi Mike

I was raised in Baslow not too far from you. Now I'm a bit further away. Looking forward to seeing the photos 

Regards from Down Under

Simmo,

Yup, I think "Down Under" qualifies as "a bit further away". Baslow never changes, I'm sure you would find it pretty much as you left it - and delightful it is too. I will do my best with pictures but, for now, how's this for a reminder of your formative years?

Regards,

Mike

Baslow Best.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, a few pictures of the event.......

I'm almost certainly not the best photographer in the world, but they will give you some idea. The event started with 2 buglers from the BL and the laying of wreaths at the foot of our memorial. Apart from the various dignitaries, many of those present were direct descendants of the lads named on the memorial. Afterwards refreshments were available inside the hall, together with an exhibition about the fallen of the Great War. My display of medals to local Chesterfield area casualties ran alongside that, and actually drew a fair bit of interest.

Warmest regards,

Mike

Barrow Hill 003.JPG

Barrow Hill 009.JPG

Barrow Hill 006.JPG

Barrow Hill 007.JPG