Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another 1910 NZ P1907

5thBatt

This one belongs to a mate of mine, peas in a pod to the ones i have posted in the past.

20181020_170506.jpg

20181020_170420.jpg

20181020_170346.jpg

Edited by 5thBatt

Mr. 5th,

You certainly do find some very nice examples in NZ!

Brilliant, polished blade/matching dated scabbard/and frog also probably.

11937 is surely near the high end of serials for the P.07.

Do we know how many Infantry Bns were maintained by NZ in the pre-war years?

Regards,

JMB

IF I collected these, I WOULD be exceedingly jealous! As JMB indicates, a mighty fine specimen there Mr 5th - and especially so with original frog!

Where are they all coming from???!!! I wonder is these are appearing from the attics, etc., of the owner's grandchildren in some cases? I remember back in the 1960's when loads of mid-19th century Chinese and Japanese tea sets started to appear in the 'junk shops' of my youth as grandchildren began to empty their grandparents attics

Trajan

6 hours ago, trajan said:

IF I collected these, I WOULD be exceedingly jealous! As JMB indicates, a mighty fine specimen there Mr 5th - and especially so with original frog!

Where are they all coming from???!!! I wonder is these are appearing from the attics, etc., of the owner's grandchildren in some cases? I remember back in the 1960's when loads of mid-19th century Chinese and Japanese tea sets started to appear in the 'junk shops' of my youth as grandchildren began to empty their grandparents attics

Trajan

Trajan, this has been in his collection for years, i first saw it about 20 years ago so not a recent find, JMB will get to your question on the high number when i get to a computer & not my phone.

On 21/10/2018 at 04:06, JMB1943 said:

Mr. 5th,

You certainly do find some very nice examples in NZ!

Brilliant, polished blade/matching dated scabbard/and frog also probably.

11937 is surely near the high end of serials for the P.07.

Do we know how many Infantry Bns were maintained by NZ in the pre-war years?

Regards,

JMB

JMB, here is the article from the NZ Arms Registry, it shows a NZ MkIII with a inventory number of 11529 & states "A further 2,000 Mk IIIs were imported in 1913 and stocks of this rifle then stood at 11,895" from what we observe the numbering of the MkIII continued where the Mk1 finished with the high end of numbers on the Mk1 being in the 2000 range, the question now is...does the figure of 11,895 include the Mk1 SMLE or is it just the stocks of MkIIIs? if just the MkIIIs then the inventory number on the MkIIIs & the '07s would extend out to the 14,000 range,  the dates & inventory numbers on my four examples (1 has been dehooked) are 7 '10 (7786),  8 '10 (8603),  8 '10 (10043)  & 12 '10 (12706)

http://www.armsregister.com/arms_register/arms_register_documents/nzar_8_smle_mkiii.PDF

Edited by 5thBatt

2 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

JMB, here is the article from the NZ Arms Registry, it shows a NZ MkIII with a inventory number of 11529 & states "A further 2,000 Mk IIIs were imported in 1913 and stocks of this rifle then stood at 11,895" 

Mr. 5th,

Thanks for the info.

"...stocks of this rifle...." My reading of that phrase is that it is very specific, referring to the Mk.III rifle only.  Otherwise I would expect something like "....stocks of rifles...." or ".....stocks of all rifles...."

As you say, that takes the P.'07 numbers almost to 14,000, so the 11937 and your 12706 are both quite near the top end.

What is your reading of the exceptional condition?

Do you think that it ever left the depot?

Regards,

JMB

2 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

JMB, here is the article from the NZ Arms Registry, it shows a NZ MkIII with a inventory number of 11529 & states "A further 2,000 Mk IIIs were imported in 1913 and stocks of this rifle then stood at 11,895" 

Mr. 5th,

Thanks for the info.

"...stocks of this rifle...." My reading of that phrase is that it is very specific, referring to the Mk.III rifle only.  Otherwise I would expect something like "....stocks of rifles...." or ".....stocks of all rifles...."

As you say, that takes the P.'07 numbers almost to 14,000, so the 11937 and your 12706 are both quite near the top end.

Regards,

JMB

3 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Mr. 5th,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

JMB

For the most part all of these i have seen are in good to excellent condition & mostly have a correct dated scabbard & a NZMR pattern of frog, one of mine was reportedly recovered from the beach at Gallipoli during the conflict, the owners name that the bayonet originally came from checks out to have been there, that one is in VG condition.