Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting P08 Web Pouch (photo)

4thGordons

I just started a thread in units and formations about these pics (SEE HERE) but this picture shows a couple of interesting things

1) the officers all appear to have P08 equipment on (not a Sam Brown in sight here - there are on other pics) which struck me as odd if early/pre war (which is what I take them to be), no side arms are evident.

2) one officer (right) here has a private/non pattern back pack

3) the individual in the background (centre sitting on wall) has an interesting large web pouch (perhaps a map carrier?) attached on the left front of his web, over his small pack.

Thoughts?

KOSB-2-1.jpg.9ec26efb34537267f98dc50543a395e1.jpg

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

It's a shame you can't quite make out what the chaps on the left are finding so interesting, presumably a piece of kit that the chap hidden from view is carrying? I've seen this photo before and to me the scene is so relaxed they look as if they are on a ramble in the countryside as much as anything else. I would agree that a map case is as likely as any other suggestion.

David

Thanks David. I have posted a few more pics from the set in the other thread. Do you happen to know where you saw the pic previously? It would be interesting to know the source of the pics. Possibly a local paper (as suggested by IanA in the other thread) but to me these look rather more like personal snapshots perhaps taken by one of the officers.

The Bn has been identified as the 1/4th KOSB

Chris

2 hours ago, 303man said:

It looks like they are pointing to the sole of his boot.  Look then look again, is he not holding is foot up hand on ankle.

I would go with the sole of the boot. I can only think they are admiring the level of studding that has been done? As regards where I have seen the picture previously, it is rather anyone's guess as I have so many books on the subject, but for some reason I've a feeling it might be in the pages of 'I Was There'. Given a few minutes I'll see if I can confirm this.

David

On 19/10/2018 at 17:16, 4thGordons said:

I just started a thread in units and formations about these pics (SEE HERE) but this picture shows a couple of interesting things

1) the officers all appear to have P08 equipment on (not a Sam Brown in sight here - there are on other pics) which struck me as odd if early/pre war (which is what I take them to be), no side arms are evident.

2) one officer (right) here has a private/non pattern back pack

3) the individual in the background (centre sitting on wall) has an interesting large web pouch (perhaps a map carrier?) attached on the left front of his web, over his small pack.

Thoughts?

KOSB-2-1.jpg.9ec26efb34537267f98dc50543a395e1.jpg

Chris

I can see 2 Sam Browns, 1 extreme left the other on the officer with pack

And spurs on the man with the pipe.

Simon

7 hours ago, robins2 said:

I can see 2 Sam Browns, 1 extreme left the other on the officer with pack

Yes sorry, quite correct! I was thinking of the one of the other examples in the other thread

6 hours ago, mancpal said:

And spurs on the man with the pipe.

Simon

Yes there is also a photo of him (?) mounted in the set.

KOSB-2-6.jpg.a0a9caa5bc47e6195400818d413a7ac5.jpg

The shoulder strap do not have brace attachments but the strap itself ran back through a shoulder strap buckle once it’s passed around the belt.

The rucksack appears to be the late war style German backpack.

regards

The rucksack is I think private purchase British made. I have had a couple over the years and have kept one in the collection.

Regards

Mark