Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rouen Hospitals

Hi I am travelling to Rouen next week (25th October 2018) to pay my respects to my Great Grandfather who died in Rouen on 25th October 1918.  He was in the Tank Corps and, from their war diaries, I believe he was injured a battle of St Quentin and therefore taken to a hospital in Rouen where he died.  His name was Private Jack Blent.

My question is, does anybody know where I find out which hospital he died at please?  Where do I go for further information?  Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Sarah

Edited by Guest

There were a heck of a lot, but just to narrow it down a bit the Long Long Trail website lists them here :

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/british-base-hospitals-in-france/

near the bottom of the page is a list specifically for Rouen, but not all of them were operating in October 1918.

Occasionally Soldiers Effects say where the soldier died of wounds, but unfortunately not in this case.

BillyH.

I note that there are 3 entries for this soldier in Forces War Records, and wonder if any of them contain any hospital information to help the enquirer. Therr may be someone here with a subscription and willing to look.

The MH106 collection of Find My Past which maybe the same as the 3 records showing of Forces War Records have a record for his 111706 number but it's to another man. They also have records of 'Blent' but no Tank men.

According to CWGC;

Rouen had eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot.

Most of the burials in ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION came from all the above so that doesn't help.

One could try working out an evacuation route from place of injury back through medical stations, clearing stations, ambulance trains to Rouen but things tend to get a bit conjectural and you have to make a choice of EG which ambulance train to Rouen he was on from a Casualty Clearing Station and hope you find where the train offloaded. That would be a lot of diaries to hunt through.

TEW

Hi Sarah

Records I hold show him as serving with the 9th Tank Corps and died in No 5 General Hospital.  If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you a picture of the information source.

Regards

Barbara