Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Represent London Scottish Shooting at Bisley

jacks4jules

I've been researching a soldier who represented the London Scottish in shooting at Bisley several times 1907 onwards .

Just wondering what sort of honour it was to represent your battalion at Bisley .

its reported  he nearly won it sadly he was KIA in 1918.

id be great full for any info on shooting pre ww1 and or Bisley .

Have you contacted the Regimental Archivist? He may very well have gen on your man, who (I assume) may well be a Winifredian (ie went over in 1914 with the 1st Battalion.

Shooting for your regiment at Bisley would have been quite an honour.

(If you need contact details, PM me)

9 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Have you contacted the Regimental Archivist? He may very well have gen on your man, who (I assume) may well be a Winifredian (ie went over in 1914 with the 1st Battalion.

Good luck.  I emailed them a few years back about a WW1 London Scottish soldier.  Still waiting for a reply!  Ended up deleting my message which was a request to see if they had a photo by any chance.  Apparently, there are images of him from 1945 and 1950 in the National Portrait Gallery but "web images currently not available" (for a similar length of time).  Ah well.

The current incumbent is far more switched on. Remember we are a Territorial Army Reserve outfit so don't have the rsources of the Regulars. If you're still in the market, PM me.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The current incumbent is far more switched on. Remember we are a Territorial Army Reserve outfit so don't have the rsources of the Regulars. If you're still in the market, PM me.

Thanks Steven.  I will be in touch - need to dig out the details again.

Reg

20 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Many thanks Steven no I haven't but I will now worth a try , Yes he defiantly was a Winifredan and was one of the survivors of Messiness on Halloween 1914. I have a great photo of home front page of the Dailey Sketch after the battle.

if there is any chance they have anything i will certainly ask.

thanks for your advice 

cheers 

julian