Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Abbreviation puzzle

Marigold1

I have a Signaller in the Royal Engineers, Sidney Lewis Gilks, who was sent for a course of instruction with the RAF in July and August 1918. When he was sent on the course he was with the 20th Indian Infantry Brigade in Palestine.

A brief Air Force record notes that he started the course on 25th July 1918 'For No. 14 Course of Instruction' with G Squadron 3CW. His course ended on 2nd September 1918.

As the RAF had a centre called 'Junction Station', Palestine, do you think I can assume that this is where he was sent?  (Sidney Gilks died in Egypt in November 1918.)

Can anyone also tell me what 3CW is likely to mean?

I would be most grateful for any help on these two points.

Marigold

He was with G Squadron which was a course group within 3 Cadet Wing at Aboukir. He would have been there as the first step in his training for aircrew (pilot or observer)

Errol

Marigold,

Correcting my earlier post: 3CW was at Heliopolis in July 1918 but in August moved to Abukir as per this post elsewhere on the forum by Mike Meech:

There is an article on training in Egypt, 'Wings Over Suez' by Ray Vann and Mike O'Conner, in the Spring 2016 edition of Cross & Cockade International.  In this it mentions that in August 1918:

"...an outbreak of sickness and food poisoning at 3 Cadet Wing mainly due to overcrowding  and poor kitchen facilities, saw the cadets moved from Heliopolis to Aboukir."

Errol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marigold,

Sidney Lewis Gilks is my great uncle . I am very interested to know how you came across this fascinating  piece of information about him.

with kind regards

Paul