Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required to identify Regiments

Nigel W

Hello, this is my first post to this forum, any help in identifying the Regiments is much appreciated.

I am creating a list of my family members who served during WW1 and would like to put names to the attached photographs. I have access to some of my family members service records and hope that if anyone is able to identify the Regiments from the cap badges, and any other information from the uniforms etc, I can at last name the individual soldiers.

Thanks in anticipation  

Image 02.jpg

IMG 03.jpg

IMG 04.jpg

img05.jpg

image06.jpg

Image 01 .jpg

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

1st photo, mounted Army Service Corps.

2nd, I'll get back to you

3rd as 1st photo, chap on horse looks like the chap 2nd from right standing.

4th, Machine Gun Corps

5th ASC again I think

6th Honourable Artillery Company ( Infantry)

Hope this helps

Chris

Second chap is East Surrey Regiment.  The rest I agree with Chris.  Bear in mind that the HAC (inf) is very similar in appearance to the Grenadier Guards, but I believe that Chris has called it right based on the view that we have.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Second chap is East Surrey Regiment. 

Good man FROGSMILE, I was just checking it before I answered. The second to last group, what badge is the chap wearing far right, also the shoulder titles have more on them than ASC, they're not Cavalry are they?

Chris

16 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Good man FROGSMILE, I was just checking it before I answered. The second to last group, what badge is the chap wearing far right, also the shoulder titles have more on them than ASC, they're not Cavalry are they?

Chris

I’m not sure, but maybe the Household Battalion made up of reservist Household Cavalrymen.  Perhaps assisting with stable management.

563CF730-864D-452B-9434-345192C89125.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi , another query any responses appreciated 

In photo 4, I’m interested to know what is the purpose/significance of the braid worn in the top left pocket. Also the 3 chevrons on the right sleeve. Does the uniform give any indication of when the photograph was taken 

Thanks 

Its called a lanyard and usually has a pocket knife attached to it.  In some regiments it became, with its colour and position, a distinguishing mark of the regiment.  It is also arguably the piece of equipment that engenders the most correspondence on this and other forums (fora?)

The stripes are overseas service chevrons:

http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/overseas-service-chevrons

From the above, you'll note that the photo with the chevrons will have been taken late in the war.

max

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is the man in No.2 the same as the man in No.4?

I'd say so

Hi yes Dragoon is right. The person in the 2nd and 4th photo are the same, a number of great uncles who served during the war that I’m trying to identify. Comparing the two photos I believe that the first photo of him was taken at the beginning of his army service (1915?) and the second photo in 1918 based on the 3 chevrons worn on the right sleeve 

Edited by Nigel W

10 hours ago, Nigel W said:

Hi yes Dragoon is right. The person in the 2nd and 4th photo are the same, a number of great uncles who served during the war that I’m trying to identify. Comparing the two photos I believe that the first photo of him was taken at the beginning of his army service (1915?) and the second photo in 1918 based on the 3 chevrons worn on the right sleeve 

With regards to the fourth photo there is a project attempting to record all the MGC that served, along with as many photos as possible. See:

1.  https://www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk/intro_page.html

2.  http://www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk/

3.  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Machine_Gun_Corps

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, Nigel W said:

Hi yes Dragoon is right. The person in the 2nd and 4th photo are the same, a number of great uncles who served during the war that I’m trying to identify.

Yes. I agree with Dragoon too :thumbsup:

I take it you don't yet know who this man is, but you do have a list of your great uncles.

There can't be many on that list who served in the East Surrey's and the MGC?

Looking at each MIC should give you a quick result.

posted in wrong thread doh.

Edited by Jerry B

Thanks Frogsmile for pointing me in the direction of the Machine Gun Corps website, hadn’t come across this.

Hi Dai Bach y Sowldiwr, thanks for your comments. Yes I have a list of my great uncles that were most likely to have served during WW1 and as you say I’m hoping that a search of the medal cards will reveal all.

21 hours ago, Nigel W said:

Hello,

It was Dai Bach y sowldiwr that pointed out 2 & 4 being the same chap,I just agreed.

I think photo 1 chap standing 2nd from right is the same as the chap on the horse in photo 3?

Chris

This is a list of 909 men who served in the ESR & MGC (Ancestry sub required).

Link

Have a look to see if  any of the names on your list appear in it.

Hi apologies for error pointed out by Dragoon, thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Thanks Dai Bach y SowldIwr  I will certainly search on Ancestry via your link

13 minutes ago, Nigel W said:

Hi apologies for error pointed out by Dragoon, thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Thanks Dai Bach y SowldIwr  I will certainly search on Ancestry via your link

No need for apologies:thumbsup:.

Good luck with your research

Chris

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all who replied to my request for information, I have now been able to identify my Great Uncle in photo 4 who survived the war. 

I am having some difficulty with naming the soldiers in photos 1 & 3 (same person) and 2. Although I have some information on who they might be, from family info and service records which have survived, this does not match with the uniforms worn in the picture. I now believe that the persons in photos 2 and 4 are different people.

Are there any details in photographs 2 and 3 that can provide any more information that could help with my research.

Any information is much appreciated