Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For People Who Think Blackaddder a Documentary

EastLancs

I am sure there are members of this forum who think that in 1914 "They were all Stupid", there opinion being formed by Blackadder or 'Oh what a Lovely War'

Seatons Solicitors of Kettering are now hosting a page on their website that challenges people to walk in the shoes of those of 1914 by downloading a free automated Excel file that allows the modern reader to face the same decisions as they did. It is totally free although a voluntary donation to charity is asked for. If you are a Teacher who wants to let his pupils experience what they went through or just have annoying work colleagues who think they know it all please feel free to challenge them to see what they would have done. If anyone wants the 'gamebook' in a Microsoft Word format as a book please ask. I attach a poster

The free download is available and verified as virus free from:

https://www.seatons.co.uk/the-great-war/

Many thanks, Ian

WW1PostB+W.pdf

I doubt anyone on this forum have had their opinions formed by ‘Blackadder’ or ‘Oh! What a lovely War’.

The Great War, 1914 - 1917.

I can't seem to download it.

I put a note in my diary. It simply says…”bugg3r”

Edited by IPT
Censorship

Sorry Gents, I wasn't suggesting that members of this forum would hold the opinion that Blackadder was a documentary but we have all met those who think that 'they were all stupid'. This gives them the chance to show how smart they would have been. It will save you the trouble of explaining and might hopefully help them think about it a bit deeper. 

Sorry you can't get on IPT, if you want to private message me with you email I can send a copy in either Word or Excel, others are seeming to down load okay. 

I'll wish you luck as I wave you goodbye!

During my research, I came across the two privates who stole General Melchett's calendar

they both received 6 months each

Ray

Edit.   Maybe they should have engaged Seatons solicitors

This is rather sad but I haven't figured out yet how to reply to an individual comment so please accept this general comment.

Many thanks to all who have undertaken the challenge, I would be very interested to hear how you got on. It sounds like some of you have joined up, I didn't expect many "Conchies' on this site ;) 

I'm not clear what you are trying to achieve but very much appreciate the tremendous amount of work involved.   

Could I perhaps suggest a run though to check the spelling? I struggled to persevere past the glaring mistakes.

Hardly a recommendation for a company of Solicitors.

Perhaps "it's" worth taking the example of the Memim gate and "its" role in commemoration.

Peter 

The solicitors blurb is sloppy, riddled with errors in almost every respect. It lie amateur tallent night? Glad I do'nt have them working on my behalf

Hi Gents, 

Thanks for the last two comments, harsh but fair. I will ask them to correct the mistakes raised.

As to what I wish to get out of it, well … I went to school in the 1970s when the teaching gave the impression that the British Army was stuffed from head to toe with fools and the best rating it got was 'lions led by donkeys'. On behalf of the my Grandfather's generation I want people of today to relive their experiences and hopefully come away with a more accurate opinion. I also hope that they pick up a lot of information on how the war changed society and became a 'total war', whilst finding it entertaining and thought provoking.

If either of you wish to message me with what you consider a more error free text than I would be obliged. In fairness the Solicitors have been very generous in hosting the project for free, certifying the file is 'safe' and devoting staff time free of charge. Making it available in time for the centenary has meant it has been done swiftly and I thank you for taking the time to help me improve the overall presentation.

All the best, Ian      

Oops, I also forgot to mention that at the end of the book I ask for a voluntary contribution to either the RAF Assn, Royal British Legion or Syria Relief for those who might prefer to give to a non-military charity. Early days yet but 90 downloads and £20 towards charity, it's nice to know that some folk appreciate it :) 

On 19/10/2018 at 17:23, EastLancs said:

This is rather sad but I haven't figured out yet how to reply to an individual comment

If you use the "right" mouse button to drag across and highlight a piece of text a little box pops up allowing the quote you just selected to be used as a reply.  Left click in the little box and you should be up and running.

Well, that's how I do it. B)

And them I love to add an imoticon!

Many thanks to you both for pointing that out, I guess I am so used to Facebook these days that I expect something similar.

There was a bit in RAF News about the project and thankfully the feedback I got was very positive, perhaps they are more forgiving of Grammer :wacko: