Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cymry'r Rhyfel Byd Cyntaf.

seaJane

Can't read Welsh for toffee but comes with a recommendation from my friend Dinah whose first language is Welsh.

44198846_2092046687711499_2634700090903625728_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the volume and can recommend it as a good overview of the Welsh experience from,letters, diaries etc.; civilians and Conscientious Objectors as well as servicemen of all sorts.   

It gave me real help in tackling the service and death of an Anglesey-born sniper, since it quoted from his mate's diary now held at the National Library in Aberystwyth.  Before, I'd assumed (wrongly) that the man was working with the 38th Div. Supply Column because his relatives had put "Attached 38th DSC" on the CWGC entry.  It actually stood for 38th Divisional Sniping Company!  Have since then also found an extensive Welsh newspaper account of his death in hospital, penned by a padre.  Take heart folks, you never know what might be found out there!   

Clive

That's good to know :)

As Clive says, a very readable book, covering more than just the infantry war.

The war at sea, RAMC, the Chaplains, poets, or ordinary people who would subsequently become poets  are covered.

The pictures are also worth a mention.

Not the usual pictures one sees in such books, in fact most were new to me.

A very good book.

Must admit I played a very small part in helping this book see the light. My name's in it somewhere ^_^ Obviously I recommend it to those who can read the language of heaven :D