Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SOLDIERS EFFECTS REGISTERS- "DIED AFTER DISCHARGE"- IN FROM THE COLD?

This is,hopefully, a well-explored source for IFTC so I apologise in advance,as I have only just tripped over this on Ancestry. While looking at Soldiers Effects for a local casualty, Herbert Spencer McCutceon (Black Watch) on Soldiers Effects, he came up in a volume of SE that contained nothing but those who died after discharge-and each entry in the volume has a stamp that says,in red, "Died after Discharge"  The volume number is 556 and the microfilm header for the volume is headed "1914-15. London, Gratuity of Soldiers Dying After Discharge, 907001-908500"

I tried one other name at random, Sergeant J. Rye, DCM, Royal Scots Fusiliers, to see if he was on CWGC but nothing came up. Might I ask if this volume has been used for IFTC purposes?  Or if there are other "Died After Discharge" volumes luring in the Soldiers Effects series.  If not, then I post for the attention of members as a potential source for IFTC

IFCP is checking every SER volume systematically - almost a lifetime's work!

We are concentrating on those who died in service first. There are many volumes with names 'died afte discharge'. Also, not all discharged men were so marked. We have found some without the 'discharged' notation who turned out to have been discharged so the lack of the note is not a guarantee that the man was still in service.

The fact that a man died after discharge does not mean that he would qualify for CWGC. He has to have died of a cause which can be proven to have been due to or aggravated by service. If he was run over by a bus etc, he would not qualify. That is the reason the post-discharge entries are being left until a second check process.

40 minutes ago, Terry Denham said:

IFCP is checking every SER volume systematically - almost a lifetime's work!

We are concentrating on those who died in service first. There are many volumes with names 'died afte discharge'. Also, not all discharged men were so marked. We have found some without the 'discharged' notation who turned out to have been discharged so the lack of the note is not a guarantee that the man was still in service.

The fact that a man died after discharge does not mean that he would qualify for CWGC. He has to have died of a cause which can be proven to have been due to or aggravated by service. If he was run over by a bus etc, he would not qualify. That is the reason the post-discharge entries are being left until a second check process.

Thanks Terry- I assumed as much-simply had not come across this particular volume, or stamp, before.