Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh Fusilier?

Alibear27

Hi, just going 20181017_173336.jpg.56e6ab06144f34c67f8ae63bd6c4a34e.jpgthrough a stack of old photos and came across this one. It's just got Glanadda, Bangor on the back, so can anyone tell me anything else about him? I had a relative, Thomas Reynolds, in the RWF, so I'm hoping it's him.

29 minutes ago, Alibear27 said:

Hi, just going through a stack of old photos and came across this one. It's just got Glanadda, Bangor on the back, so can anyone tell me anything else about him? I had a relative, Thomas Reynolds, in the RWF, so I'm hoping it's him.

He is certainly a Royal Welsh Fusilier, Ali.  His uniform is the standard 1902 pattern service dress (SD) worn with a belt from the 1908 web equipment.  His shoulder title does not seem to be the more elaborate type worn by Territorials so I think he is probably in a war-raised ‘Service’ or a ‘Regular’ (1st or 2nd), or Special Reserve (3rd) Battalion.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi.

Glanadda is a district of Bangor on the way in from the A55 Expressway, to the station.

He might have been from here.

Did he survive?

The reason I ask, is that there are CWGC maintained graves in Glanadda Cemetery.

Edit: No one by that surname buried at Glanadda in a CWGC grave.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

8 minutes ago, Alibear27 said:

Thank you. Can you tell any thing about his rank - does the swagger stick indicate anything?

He is a private soldier.  The swagger stick/cane was a prewar tradition indicating that a soldier was “walking out” of barracks in his best uniform.  Walking out was not a right for a soldier but a privilege and the stick was a mark of trust, an opportunity for him to look extra smart, and also intended to induce pride in his regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

He is a private soldier, and could be one of these men:

View Record Thomas Reynolds The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers 14349 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas H Reynolds Royal Warwickshire Regiment, The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers 203552, 235287 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas Henry Reynolds Monmouthshire Regiment, The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers 1235, 75466 mag_m.gif

OK.

I see he's 14349.

Please supply all relevant information that you have - residence- DOB, Parents, job etc.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Yes, only 1 Thomas Reynolds with RWF, 2 others have second names and were with other Regts initially. I settled for 14349 which you now confirm from the medals. He should have had three campaign medals. First landed in France on 5 Sep 1915 with 11 Battalion., a part of 67 Infantry Brigade of 22 Division, which by early Nov 1915 was in Salonika. Later posted to an Infantry Base Depot (likely to have left 11 RWF for some reason) and from there was posted to 9 Cheshire Regiment (56 Inf.Bde of 19 Division in France.

Edited by sotonmate

14349 Thomas Reynolds is in the Rhondda East absent voters register at 6 Brook Terrace, Mardy

He was taken PoW 1918. His Red Cross records shows date of birth 18 1 1885 (born Whitland?)   Taken PoW 26 3 1918 with 9th RWF. Also shows as 9th RWF on released PoWs list.  (note: 9th RWF doesn't appear on his Medal Roll)

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/1232717/3/2/

Did you say you have his medals?

edit: 1911 census has a Thomas Reynolds born circa 1886 at Whitland as a boarder ar 5 Wood Street, Mardy

Edited by Hywyn